Author Topic: Bolt in replacement wheels?  (Read 20049 times)

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
Bolt in replacement wheels?
« on: April 10, 2016, 01:37:01 PM »
I read that folks are using the worksman wheels in their builds. Folks that have done this, are you changing the axles and other parts to fit?

I purchased the 77A model wheel from worksman. It fits the front forks just fine. I'm going to have to change the axle or add some bushings to the forks to fit the diameter of the axle. In addition I'll have to play with the brake lever a bit but it looks ok.

For the rear wheel, the distance between the rear dropouts is 6". The 77A stock rim won't work without changing the axle.

Is there something else you guys are running for a rear wheels that works better? Is the 6" distance between the rear dropouts on my simplex frame sound right?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bolt in replacement wheels?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »
Most guys that have run a worksman wheel have bought just the rims and laced them to a stock simplex hub.  This keeps the stock brakes and look.

What diameter is the worksman axle?  Probably could get a longer axle from a bicycle shop.
Rick

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 05:42:13 PM »

The axle is a 5/16 axle. It's a good looking wheel with a substantial drum brake. Below is a picture of what it looks like "mounted". BTW that's the NOLA wheels 2.125 tire on there for reference.

Here are some other pics of the wheel.

It looks like there is enough thickness in this collar to drill it out to 1/2 inch to accept a larger axle.

I need to find a 1/2 by 1-3/16 sealed bearing to replace the ones that are there. I'll find a 1/2 x 6 axle or make one.

It looks like it will work Ok with a little modification.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 06:08:51 PM »
Did you put a mic on the bearings?  1 3/16" is close to 32mm.  They make 32mm bearings with 1/2" bore.
Rick

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 06:39:52 PM »
I didn't mic it. I just eyeballed it with a tape measure. I would be willing to bet you're right and it's a 32mm.

I'll validate the size tomorrow if I can.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »
Measure the width also.  BTW, a Simplex axle is 7/16-26 BSC. 
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 07:02:49 AM »
Great looking setup Jason. I went through the whole thing too with the Gator. Here's the deal: I used the standard "coaster brake" axle on the Simplex dropouts with steel axle bushings. You may have to order a longer rear axle shaft 'cause your drops are wider than a standard bicycles. Your Sturmey A. rear axle's about the same size i.e. too small without the bushings. My Springer fork uses a small axle as well. My question is: What are you trying to achieve with a larger axle diameter? Perfect fitment? Then use bushings. Perfect duplication of Simplex design? That's good too. Or is it  about safety as well? That's really important in my mind and I stayed with the smaller axles. My reasoning involves  the current state of product liability laws & a the state of our current society. Companies overbuild even the cheapest Walmart bicycles because of fear of litigation. If you are a normal size guy say between 150 & 250 lbs. the 14 ga. spokes and axles on a Wally bike are sufficient, but the spokes and rim  will go before the axle. Jason your Worksman wheels were made to haul industrial loads and pedicab passengers as well as for pleasure use. The same wheel and axle is used for many purposes & they are still in business after all their competition has dropped by the wayside. Worksman started in the 1890's and built rugged. They are way overbuilt, including axle strength, because people abuse their tools and then want to file litigation.

My "small axles" are not a concern to me on my Gator, but then this is your build & your the one who has to decide what both what the question is & it's answer. Have fun!  Rick C.   

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 09:47:54 AM »
I thought about adding bushings to the existing setup. I know that would work and has been used successfully by you guys here.

For me, it would be easier to change out to a new axle size than it would be to turn down a bushing to the proper size. I can get my hands on a drill and die for the axle threads easier than a lathe for the bushing. I usually keep things forever and I imagined myself getting perturbed trying to deal with the bushings for the next 20 years each time I pulled the wheels.

As for my simplex I'm going for a look as close to stock as I can get. I guess I'm going for "something the casual observer won't notice". In addition to all that, I don't quite fit in your average size category ;-). Having a larger axle across the span of the rear dropouts is kind of appealing from a safety perspective.

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »

The bearing currently used in that wheel is a metric bearing and it is a press fit.

OD 1.18" / 30mm
W  .39"   / 10mm
ID  .35    / 9mm

I'll poke around and see if I can find the bearings for the swap out and the shaft. I was kind of worried on how to keep the hub stable in relation to the wheel for the brake. I think I'm going to (get a buddy to) weld a bit of key stock on the crown of the rear most shoulder bolt to fit the groove in the wheel brake bracket. I'll play around with this a bit and see if I can come up with something that looks right.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
Peace of mind when it comes to safety yours or others is personal & it's better to err on the side of caution when in doubt.  Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
As far as I can tell, there is not much selection in a 30mm od bearing.  All I see is a 30mm od x 10 mm id  x 9 mm width.  That is not much gain, and probably not worth the work.  If I was concerned about axle strength, I would go to a 32mm od x 1/2" id x 10mm wide bearing.  This is part number 6201- 1/2.  This would only work if the hub had enough material to bore it.
Rick

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »
I guess with simplex as with everything else in life... there are no easy answers.

I didn't see a readily available bearing either.

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 05:16:09 AM »
I called a few bearing suppliers and they said they don't have what I am looking for. I kept looking and I found something that I think may work. It's an oddball bearing for a particular application that is remarkably close to what I  need.

There may be a bearing out there that is exactly what I need. It's on a German website and I don't speak German. I have to wait for my buddy to make it to work to translate it for me. Hopefully it's exactly what I need.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 08:33:47 AM »
I'm guessing you don't use Google . Google translate seems to work fairly well for me .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »
Google failed gloriously when I hit the "Translate Page" button.

For the record, wellendichtring does not mean "incredibly scarce bearing Jason needs".

It means Shaft Seal.