Author Topic: Bolt in replacement wheels?  (Read 20019 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Bolt in replacement wheels?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »
LOL . True , Google is fallible . Just that it generally does a decent job .

So , did that German page have what you're looking for ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 03:16:52 PM »
It didn't. It was a bearing supplier page that was in German. It had a picture of a bearing with the proper dimensions. Unfortunately it was a shaft seal with those dimensions.

I bought a couple of bearings that are 1 3/16 on the OD and 1/2 inch on the ID. They are flanged bearings but that's not a big deal. I just hope the width is right.  When I get them I'll find the technical specs on them to make sure they are suitable.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »
 I looked at some bearings from Europe , but the shipping was ridiculous . I ended using a slightly lessor bearing at a cost I could justify .

Hopefully things will work in your favor .

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 07:54:18 PM »
Ok, I think I know what I'm going to try. I think this might work.

Granger carries a 7/16 x 29/32 bearing as a stock item. I found a oilite bearing in 15/16 x 1 3/16. The bushing will be .0066 oversized on the OD and undersized .0317 on the ID. If I press it in I might get enough compression to make up the difference in the ID. I know it won't be a proper interference fit but it should be sufficient. At least I think it might be...

If this works, I'll be able to use the standard size simplex axle and an off the shelf bearing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:05:22 PM by Eitek1 »

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 02:01:55 PM »
I bought all the items to do both the front and rear rim with a mess up or two to spare. Total cost was around 25 dollars. If it works I'll post up pics and part numbers. If it doesn't work I might still post pics to show others the wrong way to do it.  ;D

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 07:09:18 PM »
Post pics as you go . For better or worse . It makes for great entertainment and education . ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 12:11:41 PM »
Get anywhere with this?
Rick

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »
Sorry, I should have updated. The ID of the bushings were not close enough to the OD of the bearings. No off the shelf solution. I tried though. From my math it looked like it would work but once I held everything in my hands and tried fitting it up it was a no go.

I'm working on another idea related to the other thread about a electric starter on the GC-190. Either way I'm going to need the services of a machinist. Looks like the wheels are going to be on the list of items that need that skill. I got a lead on a good one I just need to get my drawings together to have the stuff machined. I have a 7 year old so finding the time is... challenging.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 03:03:22 PM »
Why not just train your 7 year old to operate a mill ? ;)

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »
Trust me, that's on the list. Actually the school he goes to has a full prototyping facility. I asked the guy that runs the facility if he knew a good machinist. We talked about what I was doing. He said "I've got the equipment if you know how to use it". Unfortunately I don't. There isn't much I can't do with my hands but that is on the list. He will be my machinist when he gets a little older. ;-)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 04:32:59 PM »
If the bushing path is something you would still like to pursue message me.  I can help.  Maybe it will be the start of a neat conversion.

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 04:30:55 PM »

Ok, I think I've got a solution to this. Again....   I think this will actually work because the sizes are actually correct.

The existing bearings in the worksman wheel have a 30mm OD. So I need to fit something in that hole.  Here is what I found and I think it will work.

Here are the bearings
http://www.amazon.com/LR6001NPPU-Bearing-12x30x8-Bearings-VXB/dp/B00FNX4SCA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

They are 30mm X 12mm ID. They should press in and fit just right.

Now we are on to the axles. They need to be 12mm to fit the bearings but will be too large for the dropouts. The part numbers below were ordered from Treatland.tv They are 12mm through the center and 11mm on the ends. They should fit the bearings and should fit the dropouts.
tomos part number 230509 Front Axle
tomos part number 222585 Rear  Axle

The only think that may be "iffy" is the length of the rear axle. It might not be quite wide enough.

Tom... thanks for the help and brain power you gave to this. After your offer I looked at it a different way and think I might have it. The parts should be here by next week. I'll let you all know how good I did or how bad I messed up.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 05:04:18 PM »
Couple of questions and observations.

What are you doing for axle nuts?  Simplex used a stepped nut, are you going to duplicate this?  As I see it, this locks the axle into the front rockers for a secure fit.

I just measured my front rockers and rear dropouts.  The rear dropouts are 14.5 mm, the rockers are 11.95 mm before they open up to 14.5 mm.  Why did you not just order 12mm axles?  A few light passes with a file would open the rockers to 12 mm. 

Rick

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 07:12:18 PM »
I was going to order the 12mm and do just that with a file. While I was looking I saw the ones that dropped down to 11mm and figured that was closer to 7/16 and went with it. I ordered a few of the nuts that come with the axle but I'm going to wait and see what they look like when they get here. If I have to go with something different I will.

Are both the front and rear axles on the simplex 7/16? I'm setting up shipping for that other simplex tomorrow. It'll be a little easier to retrofit this stuff when I have something to compare to.

Thanks again for the input. I hope it works out but if it doesn't I'll know one more way that worksman wheels won't fit on a simplex.

I have a buddy that bought a frame the same time I did. We had lunch today and I asked him if he got started yet. He told me no and asked how I was coming with the wheels. I think he's letting me get one step ahead of him so he doesn't have to struggle through this. I think he's smarter than me...

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 03:22:57 AM »
front and rear axles are 7/16.  as close as 11mm is to this we could make axle nuts to resemble the original Simplex ones so they fit the drop outs correctly.  They are actually stepped to fit into the round potion of the fork drop out so that they can't just drop out! We could even get the correct size hex to match a Simplex and completely make them from scratch and fit them to the axle you end up with.