Author Topic: Comet clutch direct drive to Simplex rear sheave???  (Read 2323 times)

Sweet Z

• View Profile
    • Email
Comet clutch direct drive to Simplex rear sheave???
« on: April 12, 2016, 09:16:32 AM »
Hi folks, just wondering if any of you have just run a belt directly from a centrifugal clutch to the rear sheave of your Simplexes? I have a HF predator 212cc and am not looking to go crazy fast, just maybe cruise around 30 to 35 mph. It's pretty hilly around my neighborhood so I'd like to keep the torque but I'm afraid the sheave might be too big to do anything BUT low end. Suggestions, ideas, personal experiences? Just not sure if I want to go the jackshaft route yet.
-Zach

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Comet clutch direct drive to Simplex rear sheave???
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:00:57 AM »
I see 2 issues with this.  Issue 1:  offset.  I see no way to line this up without use of a jackshaft.
                                   Issue 2: clutches are not very good on hills.  To build power on a hill, the clutch will have to slip, which will burn it up.

A torque converter will solve both of these problems at once.  You could either buy a conversion kit from Wayne, or build your own jackshaft setup to line up the sheave and drive pulley.  I chose to build my own as I used a GS190 motor.
Rick

Sweet Z

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »
Ah, good info. So, are you just running a jackshaft in that photo sans torque converter? I like the look of that on your build. Did you have to do any fabricating? I'm lacking in the tool/skill set department for much more than bolting and aligning.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:04:45 PM »
That is a torque converter.  Nothing I used was a bolt on, everything was fabricated.  See my thread for more info.

http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=1375.0
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
I got the kit that Wayne makes, the motor mounting plate and the jack shaft. I'm  not set up for much fabricating as well, and I was able to have the motor in and comet clutch mounted and riding within an hour. I did have to heat and tweak the brake rod a little to get it to clear one of the motor bolts. I also got his kick starter that he makes for the motor mount. And it also works well.

Sweet Z

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys! Looks like I'll be going with Wayne's kit. I'm excited to get the bike cruising. I'll try and post pics during the build process.
-Zach