Author Topic: 2 Cross, 4 Cross spoke pattern  (Read 1862 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
2 Cross, 4 Cross spoke pattern
« on: May 01, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »
I was working on lacing my wheels for the Stretch project and used some wheels that I recently acquired as the pattern.  I do these so infrequently that it is always like doing it for the first time.  After I got all the spokes installed, I realized they were way too long.  I verified that the spokes were the right length.  Something wasn't right, so I went up to the garage and looked at my other bikes.  My other bikes are laced in a 4 cross pattern, and the wheel I used as the pattern is laced 2 cross.  I believe the 2 cross wheel is 100% original, and checked the pattern on the matching front wheel.  That wheel is also laced 2 cross.  I have never seen a 2 cross Simplex wheel before.  I wonder if they made a change along the way?

BTW, I measured the 2 cross pattern spokes, and they are 10" vs a 4 cross spoke at 10.5"
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2 Cross, 4 Cross spoke pattern
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »
I ran across the same phenomenon while doing my stretched.  It would be something worth mentioning when buying spokes.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:01:12 PM »
I ran across the same phenomenon while doing my stretched.  It would be something worth mentioning when buying spokes.

Tom, have you seen a 2 crossed Simplex wheel?  As I understand it, the more crosses, the stronger the wheel?
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 02:30:18 PM »
I think the rear wheel on the roller for my stretched was that way  but I just figured someone through the years changed it.