Author Topic: Gas Tank, The Resurrection!!  (Read 6361 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gas Tank, The Resurrection!!
« on: May 16, 2016, 05:26:38 PM »
I bought a really rough tank off eBay.  The seller said it wasn't repairable, but I take that as a challenge.  This will be a work on it when I am not doing anything else kind of thing, as I have no immediate need for it. Here is what it looked like when I bid on it.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gas Tank, The Resurrection!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 05:32:22 PM »
This is what it looks like after a quick blasting to knock off the heavy stuff and the foam.  I carefully ground the weld on the center seam to separate the halves.  The center section is just a flat piece with holes so I will just cut out a new one.

The "Good" side isn't too bad and will take a much smaller patch than the "Bad" side.  The marker is about where I will cut.  I really think I can pull this off, so we shall see!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 06:00:24 PM »
That is pretty rough .

If you had a mind to , the least rough half would be a good candidate for a mold to do a fiber glass tank .
Just sayin' ...

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
That is pretty rough .

If you had a mind to , the least rough half would be a good candidate for a mold to do a fiber glass tank .
Just sayin' ...

If I wanted a fiberglass tank I would just buy one from Wayne.  The guy that was making them for him had a heart attack and will not be making anymore. Wayne is looking for another guy.  The guy that made the ones he has now made tanks for boats and used the correct type of fiberglass that didn't react with gasoline.  

Plus fiberglass is nasty to work with. Not for me.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:28:41 PM »
Doesn't acetone get rid of everything!?  I always heard it dissolved Styrofoam.  I heard you could sculpt Styrofoam for a mold.  Then use it as a mold to fiberglass on such as a fairing or something then use the acetone to dissolve the Styrofoam away and...Voila!!

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 07:35:04 PM »
Just like a cab corner patch on an old pickup. When you cut the rot out you will be better able to determine the remaining steels condition & if it can bear up under the heat of joining the patch. I'm guessing you are familiar with Eastman's tank repair products used after the tanks structure is restored... for not only their sealing properties but also the resin adds strength to the entire tank as well. I think you got this restoration well in hand to  this point. I've overlaid steel tanks with cloth and resin when the metal was so thin there was no alternative except complete replacement. Turned out well but like you I'd rather have steel if at all possible.   Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 04:49:24 AM »
"Plus fiberglass is nasty to work with. Not for me."

Same here , Rick .
I just threw that out there , in case you had too much time on your hands . ;)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 07:35:43 AM »
Well if my guy would get busy I will have a mold to press metal tanks. I hope  ??? and having to rebuild a old tanks will be obsolete practice.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 07:43:35 AM »
Well if my guy would get busy I will have a mold to press metal tanks. I hope  ??? and having to rebuild a old tanks will be obsolete practice.

Reese, go over there and give him a kick in the ass with that size 13 shoe!  lol
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 08:11:44 AM »
He's bigger than me and he does a steel mill. Known him my whole life but,       no.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 08:36:30 AM »
Hey Reese ,

Good to see yer still , um , kickin' . :D
Is your guy a drinkin' man ? ;)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 03:23:12 AM »
How is the resurrection going?  Or did you abort the mission in lieu of finishing your latest ride.  The tank I just bought looks pretty good rust wise just dented.  Did you just sand the top of the ridge off in the middle until it separated? 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 06:26:24 AM »
I have put it aside for now, too many other things going on.  The metal inside was rustier than I though, so I will have to make some bigger patch panels than I anticipated.  Either that, or I am patiently waiting on Reese to see how his pressing tank sides works out.

Yes, I sanded it lightly on my belt sander, and then put a putty knife in the seam an it came apart without any theatrics.

Rick