Author Topic: front brake  (Read 6513 times)

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
front brake
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »
    Looking at the forum I see that some owners have used different front wheels with brakes, what size brake have you used. the book says 5inch back and front. how did you mount the brake plate anchor.  thanks   eric

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: front brake
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 02:27:02 AM »
 By the lack of response to my question it looks as if nobody runs a bike with front brake. I have just bought a nice front hub from a NSU quickly. that I am going to have built into my front rim,and I need to know how the brake anchoy is mouted. none of the pictures I have looked at are clear enough to tell

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 04:38:53 AM »
Are you asking how the hub is anchored ?

If so , notice the head of Rocker Arm Bolt # 8006 :

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:21:55 PM »
 Thank you that's the benefit of having pictures, when I bought the bike that was all I got ,the bike all I have managed to get yet is the book by Gary Wollard. so you can see I am working in the dark.  I have wrote to Wayne  Mahaffey some weeks ago but I don't know if he got my letter,as I have not had a reply yet.and I have not got a email address for him.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 01:38:43 PM »
Thank you that's the benefit of having pictures, when I bought the bike that was all I got ,the bike all I have managed to get yet is the book by Gary Wollard. so you can see I am working in the dark.  I have wrote to Wayne  Mahaffey some weeks ago but I don't know if he got my letter,as I have not had a reply yet.and I have not got a email address for him.

Look in he manuals section, we have many of them posted.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 06:37:49 PM »
And , it seems better results are had if you simply call Wayne .
He's a very accommodating fellow . Easy going .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
 I have been looking at this picture and find that the forks on a sportsman with front brake are different in a number of ways to mine,thats one of the reasons I could not fathom  out how the brake anchoy went. it appears that the parts with springs on are wider so that they go on the outside of the bottom arm where mine are on the inside. even the head light mounting is different.so it looks like a bit more engiering has got to be done.it all adds to the fun of old bikes.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
The front brake on the sportsman and the regular bikes anchors the same way, with the same part.  There is no rigid anchor mount, it sort of floats between the brake backing plate cross bar and a large rivet head.   The 8006 nut is turned round on the end.
Rick