Author Topic: Torque convertor pricing question?  (Read 8891 times)

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
Torque convertor pricing question?
« on: July 01, 2016, 08:30:41 AM »
 I have contacted Wayne on buying some parts. He has his torque convertors listed at $215.00. From information I have gathered from this board you can buy same convertor off the net for under $100.00. Am I missing something? Are Wayne's built just for him? If I do order off of net or a local shop what exactly do I need? I don't mind paying for Wayne's if that's what I truly need but don't want to spend an extra $100.00 if not needed. I can use that money for other parts. Could someone explain what I'm missing?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Torque convertor pricing question?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »
I have no idea what brand Wayne is selling or what he includes in his package, but those cheap torque converters are made in China.  I only use the made in good ole USA comet brand.   I use BMI Karting, as I find their prices fair and shipping quick.

Rick

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »
Ok, thanks for answering Rick. is there a certain series?

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »
After looking on BMI website the TAV2, which is what I remember you use is priced at $195.00. I guess Wayne is not out of line. He has to make something for handling and getting you the right clutch. Thanks for the help. I was looking at the Chinese clutches I suppose. They were pried around $80.00

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 04:38:37 AM »
I do not us a TAV system.  I use a Comet 30 Series asymmetric style. The reason I chose to use this is two fold. First, both clutches mount on a single plane. The second, is because if you use a TAV style, with intergrated plate, you have no choice on how you mount it.  I will look like a minibike setup, not matter what you do.  I choose to run a jackshaft setup, with the driven plate mounted up high. This gives a more simplex like appearance. I use high quality pillow block bearing to hold the jackshaft, as opposed to a flat steel or aluminum plate, that has a tendency to flex and break. 

Years ago my son had a go kart that I put a TAV style torque converter on, and within 2 weeks the steel plate had flexed and cracked.  I welded the crack up and welded a doubler plate on the back side to hold it together.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 06:34:13 AM »
Wayne sells, and/or supplies with his conversion kit, the series 30 Comet clutch mated to the Comet 6" driven clutch, both have the 3/4" bore & 3/16" key.  If combined with HIS jackshaft set-up and engine adapter plate for Honda GX series (or clones like the H.F. Predator 212cc engine), it will use the 203593 belt, provided the center to center measurement between clutch and driven clutch is 8-11/16 to 8-3/4 inches. 

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 07:39:25 AM »
Guys thanks for the information. Carryall, I am using a GS series motor like Rick is using. I haven't decided if I will run as intended or mount up high like Rick has done. Most likely that's what I will do. If I run in the intended position I plan on making a cover from aluminum or stainless to be more eye appealing than the plastic cover provided. RickS is there a link to your build? I'm going to bite the bullet and order from Wayne today to be sure I get what I need. I wanted to save a few dollars if possible to buy more parts.Thanks for the help guys.TP

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 07:44:26 AM »
Ricks, I found your build link. I forgot you stretched yours. Oil lamp did basically the same. Thanks

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 09:08:48 AM »
Buy the driver and driven clutches first. After you have them mounted and are happy with the location, then measure the center to center distance between them, and then you can order the correct length belt.  Any other way is just a guess.

Even if I didn't stretch my bike, I believe the same method of installing my torque converter would still work.
Rick

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 04:42:59 PM »
Ricks, I assumed that you had the kit and disassembled it to get the drive and driven clutch. I thought you had taken them off of the aluminum or steel plate that makes them look like a mini-bike. Could you tell me which to order? Can I get these from Wayne? BMI ?

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 05:51:13 PM »
Presently I have both the clutch and driver (Series 30) made by Comet.  I was at a store the other day and checked out a generic clutch that is the same as the Comet I use.  I then went on-line and ordered the exact same clutch from Russo power equipment for $34 delivered.  I'm pretty sure everything is identical as far as all the parts go, and everything should be interchangable.  (I need to replace the central sleeve on mine) so I'll give a review of it if anyone interested?  At half the price of one stamped "Comet", they might be a good alternative.  (the driven clutches look identical to the "Comet" also, and use the same replacement parts such as the buttons, spring, sleeve, etc...)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 07:07:39 PM »
Presently I have both the clutch and driver (Series 30) made by Comet.  I was at a store the other day and checked out a generic clutch that is the same as the Comet I use.  I then went on-line and ordered the exact same clutch from Russo power equipment for $34 delivered.  I'm pretty sure everything is identical as far as all the parts go, and everything should be interchangable.  (I need to replace the central sleeve on mine) so I'll give a review of it if anyone interested?  At half the price of one stamped "Comet", they might be a good alternative.  (the driven clutches look identical to the "Comet" also, and use the same replacement parts such as the buttons, spring, sleeve, etc...)

Reviews are always welcome ... specially on stuff we might use . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 06:16:51 AM »
   I figured although the TAV 2 "knock-off" units were subject to the backer plate breaking, nobody ever mentioned anything about the clutches themselves.  AND, If memory serves me, Comet was "out of business" for awhile until mfg supply started making them.  I'll let you know how "it" works, if there's any differences between the guage steel used, and/or quality of components including fit and finish, and how the unit works as a whole.  Mine started making a clatter/rattle noise so figured for the price, it might be worth it just for the cost of the part that needs replacement. (sleeve)  I ordered from Russo because they seem to (hopefully) sell the better quality clones, and their prices are always cheaper than other competitors.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 07:06:13 AM »
Paul, is the sleeve you are talking about the bronze bushing or the Drive hub?  All these parts are available.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »
The drive hub sleeve.  I looked at just buying that part but, figured for a little bit more ($15) I get a complete clutch.  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:18:18 AM by carryall »