Author Topic: Torque convertor pricing question?  (Read 8890 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Torque convertor pricing question?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 01:20:23 PM »
Hey guys.  My generic clutch was delivered today. (ultra fast shipping thru Russo!) and here's my review thus far.  After disassembling and comparing them "side by side", there's only a couple slight differences cosmetically.  ALL parts are interchangeable!  First difference is the "generic clutch" has what could possibly be some type of hard galvanizing on the surfaces that contact both the belt and interior of the shells where the spring pack (and lube) are applied.  That's a "plus" compared to the Comet brand which is relatively uncoated steel.  Second difference is inside where the clutch pack sleeve rides seems to be hard chrome lined vs. the Comet, which is a uncoated steel.  Not sure what grade steel is inside the Comet and how it compares vs. chrome lining as far as wear resistance but, I do know some of my AK barrels are hard chrome lined and they hold up to a 7.62cal. bullet tearing thru them repeatedly.  The outer surface of the generic clutch cover (the surface seen visually when installed) also seems to be chrome.  Albeit it's not "show chrome" assumedly because these clutches are built more for utility than for "show".  That's a plus as far as appearances go but, that's subjective depending on if your painting it?
   I did ride the bike with it installed for a couple miles, and it did engage slightly quicker, (few less rpms) and firmer with less noise/rattle than my Comet but, that could be either because it's new with lube, and/or has slightly weaker springs around the weight pack?
   All in all tho, for approx. 1/2 the price of a Comet brand, I can't see any reason NOT to buy one.  Granted, I haven't put a hundred plus miles on this one YET, but either way, I have a whole other clutch now, if needed, whole, or for parts if nothing else... 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 01:28:14 PM »
Good report Paul!  Keep us updated when you get some miles on it.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
You guys have fun in Portland.  I actually reconsidered and kicked around the idea of going but, long story short, I collapsed on March 3rd from massive lung infection.  I ended up on life support for 2 weeks and then in ICU for another 6 weeks, they tell me after I "came to".   I had lost the ability to stand, let alone walk from all the muscle and weight loss (over 40lbs)  I then got stuck in a VA nursing home for physical therapy but couldn't "stand it" LOL, so went home and re-learned to walk eventually about a month ago but I still need supplemental oxygen for anything "strenuous" like stairs, etc...  I've been unable to go to work because of the fumes and welding smoke and grinding dust would just compound the issue, so, BOREDOM is now killing me!!!  Ultimately tho, I feel it wouldn't be safe/prudent to travel too far yet with the associated health issues. (heart function took a hit also)  Luckily the Servi is small enough I can hold it up, and ride it even with my weak legs, and can putt it around on occasion.  Take lotsa pics and hope the weather cooperates for you guys.  Be safe.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:31:33 PM by carryall »

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 03:16:13 PM »
Will do on the pics Paul.  You will be there via the lens of my Canon.  You too Eric from England!!   

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 04:22:59 AM »
Praying for your complete recovery Paul. A lifetime of working metal takes certain tolls on the body, but when you love what you're doing the spirit is at the same time lifted... get well! These guys will probably lift one or two in your absents at Portland & tell a few "Paul stories" too. Get well so you can defend yourself in person next year. Rick C. 

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 08:59:34 AM »
  BTW, here's a pic of the new clutch.  Ignore the screwdriver, it's just the easiest way to pull the weight pack without disassembling the springs.  (NOTE: they could use a bit more dry graphite lube than they come with)