Author Topic: Wayne Mahffey  (Read 7396 times)

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
Wayne Mahffey
« on: July 02, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »
   Does any one know if Wayne has got a email address,i rote to him some weeks ago but have not had a reply,looking back as far as 2012 I see that a number of Simplex owners were getting no replies to there letters I don't really want to phone him because of the time difference in the uk and the usa. apart from that what it would cost would go a long way to paying for some of the parts I need.   thank you

pd

• View Profile
Re: Wayne Mahffey
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 12:31:43 PM »
Wayne does not do the internet ... No email .

Like I said before the best way to contact him is by phone .

You might check into some of these to save cost :
https://www.google.com/#q=free+internet+phone+to+landline

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »
  Thanks  Pete  just my luck. or bad luck. I can make most parts but not piston and conrod.

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 01:34:18 AM »
 After writing this last night, I was talking to a friend who reminded me of a saying we had in the army there is no such saying as I cant do it,you were told you ccould do it,and you will do it.so I have decided to add this to the list of things to make. what I need now is a picture of the piston and conrod with the measurements on or better still an old one as a pattern. i know Villiers used a 2" piston at one time so that might help and a book I have called tuning for speed shows you how to make a racing con rod. So the question now is can any body help please. the pictures would need the length of the piston and the distance the piston pin is from the bottom and the  top. the conrod would need the distance from the centre of the big end hole and the piston pin hole    thank you for any help anyone can give me      eric

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 05:47:35 AM »
That sounds like an awful lot of work , just so you don't have to make a phone call . ;)

For a couple hundred dollars you'd have piston , pin , clips , rings and a connecting rod . You would have to provide the  exact bore measurement and rod to crank bearing . And , you'll need the screw that keeps the connecting rod on the crank .

Villiers early pistons were very similar to Simplex pistons . The 55 mm Villiers might be made to work .

Villiers :

Simplex , one of Wayne's pistons :

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:16:56 AM by pd »

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:00:33 AM »
You forget the time difference in the uk to the usa . tried three times yesterday even got up in the middle of the night but got no answer .   eric

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 09:33:50 AM »
Sunday of a Holiday weekend ( 4th of July - Independence Day ) .
He likely wasn't home .

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
 Thanks  Pete, just my luck  will try again   eric

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 10:01:59 AM »
If someone is willing to get the dimensions on the parts, I would be willing to draw a 3d model of it and upload it here. If we do that the part could be had by anyone that has access to a machine shop with CNC capabilities.

It might be a solution to getting hard to find stuff. The world is changing as far as manufacturing goes and it might be good for the hobby to start doing this. It probably won't be cheap but it won't be impossible to source stuff either.

For example...

I don't think it's a perfect copy of the one from a simplex but probably pretty close. Also, I can generate shop quality drawings for stuff pretty easy too.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 12:34:10 PM »
You forget the time difference in the uk to the usa . tried three times yesterday even got up in the middle of the night but got no answer .   eric

One of my daughters lived in the UK last year.  I don't recall the phone bill being all that bad, and she spoke with my wife almost daily.  Call Wayne early in the morning. Like 7am his time.   He is in the central time zone, which, I think is currently 6 hours behind you, assuming you are GMT.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:36:12 PM by RickS »
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 02:37:22 PM »
Eric - As a machinist, I have pondered making my own rod & piston for a Simplex engine, because I wanted to run a longer rod & higher pin position.  But as a machinist, I realize the undertaking it would be to make these two pieces so I decided to just buy them from Wayne.  So what if we did this for your situation:  you make a list of what it is you need for your engine, email it to me, and I can pick it up from Wayne at the Portland Scooter Show.  Then you can use Paypal to pay me and I will ship it to you.  This makes it easy for you and I am glad to call Wayne and do everything state-side to help you out.  As you build things, we will just transfer money via Paypal.  What do you think?

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 01:43:58 AM »
  Hi, Thank you very much for your offer,that would be absolutely fantastic especialy as you don't know me from adam. I will have to go in the garage and strip it as I did not touch it till I knew that I could get the bits for it and get back to you. will go iin there now and do it.    Thank you again  you have made a old man very happy.     eric

Eric

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 02:59:27 AM »
      Hi  Have done that and sent you a email, hope you get it ok,   All looks to be standard size and in good condition,  cant understand why it was taken apart.    Thanks again   eric

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 06:04:03 PM »
Eric received his parts today!   15 days.   Let the fun begin Eric!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 06:50:18 PM »
Pretty quick turnaround for a UK delivery .

Nice going , Tom .