Author Topic: clutch noise  (Read 17843 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: clutch noise
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 06:30:12 AM »
    I tried that.  Just too tight...Just couldn't get one to "stay put" in either the back clam shell, or the bushing itself.  (Hard to "force a tiny piece of .002-.003 brass in such a tight gap)  SO...I ended up brushing a super light coat of that bedding mix on both pieces, and let it semi-harden/cure...  Enough to stay adhered... but yet soft enough to allow me to "tap" it on (and eventually off) the shaft with a small mallet. (I used thin coat of oil on crankshaft as "mold release" so it wouldn't adhere)  After it fully cured/hardened, I gave it a "mist" of high temp paint (1200degree) over the "bedding" to finish.  Figured that would take up any remaining tolerance and fill any "low spots".  Can't get any tighter fit than it is now, without it being permanently attached.  
    On the subject of clutches, one other tip I have is...IF you end up with a "generic clutch" with the hard-chrome finish, I recommend taking a scotchbrite pad to the belt faces. (both sides)  After dipping they have way too smooth of a surface, and evidently it causes a bit of slipping and thus heat.  After my first long ride when new, it (clutch and belt) got really hot!  Hotter than the original Comet that was on it FOR SURE.  After I took the "shine" off it with a scotchbrite pad, it was noticeably much cooler and had better, more positive engagement also.  Should help both the belt and clutch life in the long run.
    Lot of work for a minor issue on a $30 part but, WTH, it's an improvement/solution to something that bugged me when riding.  

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 06:33:13 AM by carryall »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 07:20:55 AM »
" Lot of work for a minor issue on a $30 part ... "

But , now you have something that lowers your stress level . ;)

R & D is fun , isn't it ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »
YEP...R&D...Ride and dis-assemble?  LOL.  Test ride was great, and it's 75 and sunny... don't get any nicer than that!  Off to the beach.  Showed 9yr old grandson how to snorkel, and now can't keep him out of the lake.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 12:57:54 PM »
Ha . Ride and dis-assemble has been a way of life for me and my '57 .
Good you're showing the boy another 'side' of life . It's a whole different world below the surface . Lots to see and learn .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 08:12:44 AM »
Really nice quality pair of patches I decided to use on my saddlebags. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 08:20:42 AM »
That almost looks like it's suppose to be there . ;)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »
That was the idea anyways.  I was worried they wouldn't hold to the rough leather but, seems the glue "soaked in" to it really well.  I was prepared to sew them using a vise grip needle nose pliers but, we'll see if it's needed...Should look O.K. matching the tank decal.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
If you do have to reattach them , consider using fabric cement or even jell type super glue .

Both hold well to rough , porous materials .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 05:43:02 AM »
   Thanks PD, matter of fact, I decided to pull them and possibly re-locate them a bit higher on the bottom of the bags, and will need to glue them if I do. 
   BTW, I finally got a PTFE adhesive tape from 3M I am going to try for quieting the clutch via UPS yesterday.  It's really expensive stuff but they were nice enough to send me a sample roll of each thickness.  3M5490 & 3M5491 are good to 500degrees and are used to stop squeaks and rattles on conveyer lines, rollers, etc...Installed it on the bushing and the raised ramps on the weight pack, and then started it last night when finished.  Absolutely quiet.  See how long it puts up with the abrasion action.     

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 06:02:36 AM »
Did you take a picture of this modification?
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 06:25:34 AM »
I tried, but it was almost impossible to see the tape once applied on the bushing.  I applied it on the 1/2 moon shaped guides, and then a strip in the center in-between.  I had to use the 3M5490 because it is 3.7mil.  The 3M5491 was too thick.  Big "shout out" to the 3M sales rep who helped me out and sent me these sample rolls to try out FREE!  This stuff is really expensive and only available thru a few speciality retailers.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 07:27:23 AM »
Thanks Paul. I am interested in seeing how it holds up. Please keep us up to date as you put some miles on it.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 07:48:13 AM »
Shall do.  Since I've been out of work, I bet I've put well over 50 miles on the Servi just in the last month or so.  Works great for hunting Pokema!!!  I putt from park to park with it around town.  On the subject of "holding up", I have to say my tires are still looking like new.   

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 05:48:42 PM »
  I checked the 3M tape on the clutch hub and so far, so good!  Question tho...wondering about the spacer used on the outside of the clutch cover used as a spacer behind the bolt and washer. (I assume that's its purpose)  Why, or under what circumstances would the notch for keyway on the outer perimeter come into play? (see pic of spacer upper left)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 06:02:16 PM »
Hmm , Purely guessing here , but maybe that's to creat a bit of off balance to make things wear faster ?

I really have no idea , Paul . Sorry .