Author Topic: clutch noise  (Read 17835 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: clutch noise
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2016, 07:34:59 AM »
   I did forget to install it one time, and just used the bolt and washer.  Almost disaster!  The next time I pulled the clutch, I noticed that the bolt had bent slightly.  Glad it didn't break off in the crank! 

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »
Found another great use for the 3M PTFE tape.  Throttle tube to handlebar contact.  Super smooth/slippery and takes up a little "slop" between the two surfaces.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »
Ya had to use that roll of tape somehow , Paul . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 08:06:18 PM »
It's right up there with... ;D duct tape IMHO.  LOL

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 05:56:44 AM »
Whoa ... Now that's makin' quite a statement . :o

I have to ask : which color duct tape ? ;)
I read on the internet that the silver is only good to about 25 MPH , where the black is still holding strong at 150 . ::)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 06:55:55 AM »
WHOA there...the leading expert of Duct Tape  (aka Red Green) has proven the merits and wide applications of our OEM silver repair on a roll.  Your reference to this "Black Tape" and claims, leads me to believe you have your hands on our militaries secret "100 MPH tape.  I caution you that both the TSA and other National Security agencies may be monitoring our discussions, and as such, not to be confused with or revealed on public forums.  I was only pointing out the 3M tape #3490 will withstand 500 degrees and uses PTFE technology in addition, to perform its significant reduction to abrasion, heat resistance, and ability to adhere in .002mil thickness, compared to the afore mentioned OEM SILVER substrate and repair on a roll.  Besides, 25MPH would be fine on a stock ServiCycle.  LOL
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:24:43 AM by carryall »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
Agreed . Red Green has definitely put ol' silver to the test , in more ways than I would have .

Mums the word on any secret stuff . And , it sounds like that 3M is decent enough to have a bit laying around for what ever .

As for the rather tacky silver being fine for a stock ServiCycle , I have to disagree , unless there's no alternative .
And , when my stock bike runs , it'll do a lot faster than 25 .  8)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 06:37:49 AM »
I know....Just jerking your chain little bit.  LOL.  It's really too bad the original engines weren't of a better design/quality tho.  I personally would have gone "original" if it would have been easier to find engines and/or parts so it could be ridden regularly without worries.  Just one of the pros/cons of old, rare, or obscure vehicles.  Like restoring my old Hondas, it came down to availability and price of OEM parts vs collectability prices and personal tastes.   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
I figured as much and thought I'd just play along . Nothin' better to do for the time being . :D

I've been trying to get my OEM motor to run for more than 10 minutes at a time for the last 4 summers . I might be getting close . I figure just about the time I do , it'll be time to rebuild the motor , again . LOL

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
Or at least the drill your using to spin it with?  LOL  That engine of yours would drive me nuts.  Something as simple as a rudimentary 2 stroke engine being so frustratingly difficult to "go".  Kudos to your patience

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »
Thanks . Patience is something I seem to have plenty of . Too bad I can't sell some and maybe fund a different motor . ;)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2017, 09:11:16 AM »
I found this high quality stainless spring in an old alarm clock that was .003 thick.  I cut strips and installed them as shims in my spare clutch and installed it on the bike. Because of the shape, it maintains slight pressure on the bushing and so far seems to work.  I'll need to do a test run, being careful in case it prevents the clutch from returning back to the neutral position but, so far it seems to work when I go from idle to where it starts to engage, and then back to neutral... in my house LOL. If it doesn't work, I still have plenty of magic tape anyways.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
I'm sure Alexander Graham Bell's first phone didn't work 'perfectly' . If that's any consolation . ;)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »
It was such a beautiful day today, (68 and sunny) I had to take the Servi out for a cruise and, test ride the new clutch modification.  Worked perfect even after approx. 5 miles of high speed runs and very slow engagements.   I'll run it another 10miles or so and then dis-assemble and check  it but, I think I've found the long term solution to the noise issue.  YA.  The new seat was also much more comfy.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »
Sounds ( none ) like it might be a winner, Paul . ;)