Author Topic: clutch noise  (Read 17831 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: clutch noise
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2017, 07:04:13 AM »
Well, I went and visited a local plating shop and left a bushing and the shell it fits into with the owners son to nickel plate and see if he could get it to fit tighter with build-up of just nickel.  When he called me to pick it up, he showed me how it fit tight in a couple places but a bit loose in another. (remember it can fit/rotate in 4 separate ways) I buffed it down and gave it a shot of dry lube and installed.  WOW. it is really quiet and engages almost too quickly.  My guess is between the super slick nickel and dry lube and the reduced tolerance, it's more a bearing now.  LOL  I filled in the holes in my exhaust so the bike is really quite now also.  I'm hoping to test drive it up to full speed soon to make sure the clutch doesn't hang up and returns to normal but, riding it in my basement it seems to function normal and noiselessly.  If it does, I'll probably have my other clutch bushing plated also and have one as a spare or alternative depending on it's function.  The plating only cost me $20 and I may have them do the headlight trim ring at the same time.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2017, 07:33:24 AM »
Well, I went and visited a local plating shop and left a bushing and the shell it fits into with the owners son to nickel plate and see if he could get it to fit tighter with build-up of just nickel.  When he called me to pick it up, he showed me how it fit tight in a couple places but a bit loose in another. (remember it can fit/rotate in 4 separate ways) I buffed it down and gave it a shot of dry lube and installed. WOW. it is really quiet and engages almost too quickly.  My guess is between the super slick nickel and dry lube and the reduced tolerance, it's more a bearing now.  LOL  I filled in the holes in my exhaust so the bike is really quite now also.  I'm hoping to test drive it up to full speed soon to make sure the clutch doesn't hang up and returns to normal but, riding it in my basement it seems to function normal and noiselessly.  If it does, I'll probably have my other clutch bushing plated also and have one as a spare or alternative depending on it's function.  The plating only cost me $20 and I may have them do the headlight trim ring at the same time.

That's so you won't alarm the neighbors when you do a 2 AM sleep ride ? ;)

Quiet is the best form of self defense as it allows us to hear an angry cager trying to run us into the ditch .  :o
And , it's a lot easier on my ears .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
It was a very nice visit to the plating business.  They are relatively small, and do mostly "one-off" and short run jobs for car and bike guys.  They are partnered with a polishing shop next door also.  He took the time to show me the different process they use like the copper plating, nickel and chrome tanks along with various materials they can prep to do.  They run a very clean and organized shop and have a couple guys who specialize in nothing but repairing various metals with welding, brazing, and straightening/fixing parts before finish product goes to plating. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »
It was a very nice visit to the plating business.  They are relatively small, and do mostly "one-off" and short run jobs for car and bike guys.  They are partnered with a polishing shop next door also.  He took the time to show me the different process they use like the copper plating, nickel and chrome tanks along with various materials they can prep to do.  They run a very clean and organized shop and have a couple guys who specialize in nothing but repairing various metals with welding, brazing, and straightening/fixing parts before finish product goes to plating. 

Paul ,

That sounds like the kind of shop we would want to add to our resource list . We do have a list like that , right ?

Anyway , maybe you could share contact info with us ?
And , if they have a web site address ?

Thanks ,

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »
Certainly.  The owners name is John, and his company is jrcustomplating.com located in North Branch, Minnesota.  Like I said, they do mostly small quantities and "one-off" pieces for bikes, cars, vintage snowmobiles, etc.   Like I mentioned, I think I'm going to do another clutch bushing set (provided test ride at full throttle goes as planned) and then also have him look at the headlight trim ring I have which has a couple small "dings/dents" that he could work out of the stainless and have it plated just to add a bit of Shine to the headlight bucket.  My fishtail exhaust might be another chrome plating job in the future also but, I'm not sure about it as of yet... Little update on the clutch mod test drive.  SMOOTH as glass, and not a sound.  Much more responsive to light throttle changes it seems too.  Now there's nothing to hear but the purr of the exhaust.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:36:03 PM by carryall »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2017, 05:10:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing that addy , Paul .
By the looks of the pieces they've done , you weren't lying . :)
That one is being added to my resource list .

Dang , now you won't have anything to pick at , being as that thing is so quiet . Hope you don't get too bored . :D

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2017, 06:20:02 AM »
I know. If I do any more, it'll start looking like a "Shriners bike"  LOL.  Just to taunt you on how well the engine is running, after it was warmed up from riding, I tried an old trick I'd do on well tuned mopeds where I was able to start (with slight choke) the bike just by rolling my foot over the clutch like the kick start.   HA, it started once.   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
I know. If I do any more, it'll start looking like a "Shriners bike"  LOL.  Just to taunt you on how well the engine is running, after it was warmed up from riding, I tried an old trick I'd do on well tuned mopeds where I was able to start (with slight choke) the bike just by rolling my foot over the clutch like the kick start.   HA, it started once.   

I know what you mean . The Shriners may wear those funny hats , but from what I hear , they do a lot of good for the handicapped kids .

And as for your breath on it and it starts motor , well , I'm envious and jealous . ;)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »
I had an uncle that was very involved as a Shriner, and he and his group all rode various vintage scooters with all sorts of glittery stuff and decorations to parades all over the area to support their medical funds.  Shriners hospital  for children and families.  They practiced all the time doing the figure eight and various routines.  Some other teams used go-carts if I remember correctly too.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »
I had an uncle that was very involved as a Shriner, and he and his group all rode various vintage scooters with all sorts of glittery stuff and decorations to parades all over the area to support their medical funds.  Shriners hospital  for children and families.  They practiced all the time doing the figure eight and various routines.  Some other teams used go-carts if I remember correctly too.

Whatever it takes to gain attention . ;)