Author Topic: Saying Hello  (Read 2265 times)

Mudhen10

• View Profile
    • Email
Saying Hello
« on: September 22, 2016, 08:23:33 PM »
I dont recall how I found this web site but I am very happy to see so many folks, world wide, that are continuing a memory, physical and mental, of a bygone day for small but elite motor cycle -- the Simplex Servi-Cycle.  This website is truly a nice way to share.  Thanks for letting me join.

The history of my bike is simple -- I borrowed money from my Dad to purchase my 1955 Simplex Automatic from a dealer in Ardmore, Oklahoma in the spring/Summer of 1955 and paid my Dad back with proceeds from my paper route, which at that time was in Madill, Okla.  We moved to Texas in 1957 and the bike has been in my possession ever since -- either in my parents shed in Texas or, after they both passed away, in my shed in Virginia.  I last rode it to and from high school my Freshman year and put it in the shed when I bought my first car (1952 Chevy convertible -- which I wish I had also put in the shed).  I had always wanted to put it back on the road but never seemed to have the time or workshop to do so.  Therefore, I decided last year to take it to Wayne Mahaffey to do a complete restoration.  The only parts that were missing were the tail light and the idler arm spring -- all other pieces were present but, of course, not in pristine shape.
I am extremely happy with the outcome and am attaching a photo showing the before and after results.  My wife definitely likes the after but I am torn between memory of the before and looks of the after.  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:30:42 PM by Mudhen10 »
John M

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Saying Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 03:50:36 AM »
Great story!  Now get on that thing and ride it down to the high school and cruise for chicks! Be a great original bike to document.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 03:59:18 AM »
Lovely bike. Was the Ardmore dealer a Western Auto store as well? If you have some restoration photos please post them as well. Nice to have memories restored to reality  as well. Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 05:56:46 AM »
Welcome , Mudhen10 . :)

Looks like the original just needed a good bath and maybe a bit of touch up , here and there . ;)

But , the restored looks like it had the special touch , as in better than new .

Torn ? Like Tom suggests , get on it and ride . How many miles will it take to get the restored looking like the original ?

I'm a bit jealous of the restored . Mine isn't nearly as nice .

Memories ... Often , when I work on my '57 , I can see myself in the back shed at my folks home . Maybe that's why I can't seem to get it running right . Memories .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mudhen10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:20:05 PM »
ndian22, I dont remember if the dealer was a Western Auto store or not -- dont think so.  All I remember was a big window behind which was a room full of motorcycle.  Mine was sort of sitting by itself since I think my Dad had called the dealer and told him we were coming for the bike.

I am very happy with the restoration even if I wasn't the one actually doing the work. I just wish everyone, who is doing their own restoration, super good luck and great riding when completed.
John M

Mudhen10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »
pd,
Fortunately when I was a kid, my Dad had a gas station and I got to work on it at his place -- of course, he would always help bail me out when I would do something weird and the bike would start complaining. The amount of miles to get the new looking like the old isnt so much the challenge as the 60 years sitting in a shed gathering dust.  Fortunately, the bike lived in Texas where dry rot is more the issue than rust.  Good luck with your '57.
John M

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:10:02 PM »
Thanks , John M . :)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)