Author Topic: Single Spark Plug Cyclinder Head  (Read 2980 times)

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
Single Spark Plug Cyclinder Head
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
Can anyone here explain when and what bikes Simplex used the single spark plug cylinder head vs. the dual spark plug head. I haven't seen many Simplex bikes with the single spark plug and I may have a chance to purchase a bike that has one but want to know a little more about this before proceeding. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Vince     

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Single Spark Plug Cyclinder Head
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
I was speaking to Wayne about this just the other day. He feels that very late 1958 is when the single plug cylinder started to make an appearance.  They were used on the Sportsmans, and on some of the regular bikes.  I don't think they were used on th scooters.

As a side note, Wayne has a NOS single plug cylinder that is steel!  This is the only one he has ever seen and doesn't have any idea when or why it was made.

Vince, what are the details on the bike you are looking at? Is it a Sportsman?
Rick

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 12:08:21 PM »
Rick,
It's actually one of those bikes that came out of that private collection in Texas that was listed on here a couple of weeks back. To make a long story short, I offered to buy all three bikes as a package deal and they accepted my offer. The next day I was told that the owner of the company that was hired to sell the bike collection liked the two 1954's so he decided to keep those for himself but the 48 would be available. I was more interested in the others so I kind of backed out. I received a call a couple of days ago that the owner agreed to let one of the 54's go along with the 48. I asked him for some more photos of the 54 and that's when I discovered it only had the single spark plug cylinder. The frame number by the way is 10450 which I believe might make it a 56 or 57. I'll be away from my computer for about 2 hours but when I return I'll post up a couple of photos. Thanks for your input Rick. Vince

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 05:24:52 PM »
What happened to the photos Vince?  LOL
Rick

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 07:53:07 PM »
Rick,

Sorry for the delay. I always have some difficulty posting photos.

Vince

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 06:59:34 AM »
I would say not the right head for that bike.  All those bikes in that auction were pieced together.  A little cleaning up and that bike will look really nice!  Did you get the "1948" also?
Rick

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 08:36:03 AM »
Yea, I bought that bike and the 48. I didn't pay anything near what they were asking though.  Still hoping he'll sell me the third bike as that was the one I was the most interested in. I know the bike had parts from different years but I think this one will make a good rider. Vince

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 07:08:18 AM »
Any bike that runs is a good rider IMO. :)

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »
I agree.......I would also add the word reliably!