Author Topic: Engine Blocks and cylinders  (Read 7581 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Engine Blocks and cylinders
« on: October 29, 2016, 05:21:52 PM »
I was doing a little prep work on an engine today when I came across something I had not seen before.  I recently had Wayne sleeve  a 150cc cylinder back to a 125cc size.  I was test fitting the cylinder to the block, but the cylinder was too big to fit in the block spigot!  WTF, I said to myself.  I then pulled out some other cylinders I had and started measuring.  Sure enough, the 150cc cylinders are cast larger at the bottom.  The two engine blocks I have are 125cc. Pictures below tell the story.  What I ended up doing was using a die grinder to open up the block to accept the cylinder.

Notice one of the blocks has a step cut, the other doesn't. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:23:28 PM by RickS »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
Re: Engine Blocks and cylinders
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 06:39:13 PM »
Interesting , Rick .

Do both the 125 and the 150 cylinders fit snugly into the blocks ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 06:56:02 AM »
Interesting , Rick .

Do both the 125 and the 150 cylinders fit snugly into the blocks ?

The 125cc floats very loosely, not indexed at all.  I don't have a 150cc block, so I don't know for sure.  The 125cc block I clearanced for the 150cc cylinder, I left it tighter than the other, but still some room. The studs seem to provide all the indexing.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 07:53:45 AM »
I wondered what you have as my 125 cylinder is very loose . Almost too sloppy , but I think there is enough room on the wrist pin to make up for any misalignment . Still , I center the cylinder as close as I can using two sides at the base . So far that seems to be good enough .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »
I wondered what you have as my 125 cylinder is very loose . Almost too sloppy , but I think there is enough room on the wrist pin to make up for any misalignment . Still , I center the cylinder as close as I can using two sides at the base . So far that seems to be good enough .

After installing the 2 bolts and 2 studs, there isn't much room for play.  Aligning to the outside of the base would just be for aesthetics, as far as I can see.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 09:03:42 AM »
Aesthetics or not , it works .

The bolts/studs seem to allow a pretty fair amount of play on my motor . Like I said , almost too sloppy . At least there's a lot more slop than I'm use to on other motors I've had apart .

The outside base alignment also insures the cylinder is mounted the same every time .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 07:35:56 AM »

After installing the 2 bolts and 2 studs, there isn't much room for play.  Aligning to the outside of the base would just be for aesthetics, as far as I can see.

Rick ,

I was thinking about cylinder 'fit' to the case . Being as your bolts/studs don't allow "much room for play" , I have to wonder exactly which fasteners you use .

Along with that , do you have to re-torque those fasteners after you run the motor for a bit , the first time after assembly ?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 07:54:49 AM »
I use the stock studs with either a nylock fastener or steel locknut.  On the other 2, I use the stock size 5/16" fine bolt with the same fastener.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 08:39:11 AM »
OK . Thanks , Rick .

I'm using the original hardware and wondered if you found anything better .

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »
I've found this place, Albany County Fasteners to be good source of hardware.

albanycountyfasteners.com

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 08:11:42 AM »
I've used Albany County Fasteners many times and have been very pleased. One thing I really like is they sell most everything in quantities from 1 to 1,000.  Many other distributors have min lot sizes of 25 or 50...way to many for most jobs.

Their material selection is also great. Many screws, bolts, nuts and washers are available in various non-ferrous and ferrous metals including two grades of stainless steel.

I've been restoring a wheel horse 1975 tractor and almost all nuts, bolts and washers are now stainless steel. I also used stainless hardware in restoration of my lathes and milling machine. I think their prices are very fair. I'm not connected with them in any way.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:35:58 AM by henrylr »