Author Topic: What is this  (Read 3630 times)

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
What is this
« on: November 19, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »
This piece was mounted between the carb and the block. I am guessing that it isn't a Simplex part (the carb isn't stock either) but I wonder if someone can tell me what it is and what it is supposed to do?

pd

• View Profile
Re: What is this
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 03:59:39 PM »
Never seen one like that before .

It's a reed valve assembly . It's a check valve for fuel . It allows passage in only one direction .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

simplexguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 07:47:43 PM »
West Bend Kart engines used valves like these

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 06:07:44 AM »
Thanks Simplexguy .

A bit of searching brought :

Chrysler West Bend Power Bee 700 Reed Plate Cage A130158 30158

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/222029784013?lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&item=222029784013&rmvSB=true

http://vkakarting.com/for-sale-wanted/west-bend-engines-parts/

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »
I am guessing that I have motor (L?) that originally had a rotary valve but someone chose to use this reed valve setup. I am thinking this, one because of the reed valve, but also because there is a keyway where the rotary valve would be. Since this is my first Simplex motor can someone tell me if the ports that are bored into the crankcase from the intake are correct, or has this been done along the line? Also my crank has the tapered needle bearings near the counterbalance and the ball bearings near the magneto end. This seems to be opposite of the drawing in the parts manual. (if is it an L or earlier motor). Or do I have a hybrid bastard motor that someone made out of assorted parts?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 01:35:10 PM »
Post some more pictures of the carb flange and other side of motor base, please. Also, post a few of the crankshaft.  Are there any markings on the crank?

I have never had an L motor apart, so below is speculation.

To me, this looks like a home modification, but Simplex was in transition from the rotary valve to the model M crank, where the intake mixture passes through the center of the crankshaft, so anything is possible.

Is the inside bearing a sealed bearing, or does it have a removable cup?  According to the manual, both bearings should be tapered.
Rick

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 06:45:22 PM »
Here's more pics. The "outer"(near the mag) bearing appears to be staked in. This block has seen better days.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 05:13:50 AM »
  I think the case you have is nothing but a paperweight.  The crank looks like it could be saved.  Finding an L case might not be easy, but I would call Wayne and see if he happens to have one.  I would bet he would have the proper rotary valve to that. 

If the bike is a 1953, as you suspect, this should have had a Model M motor.  I would look for an M case and use what you can from this motor on that.  The cylinder, rod, magneto should all be the same. 

Do not just toss the crank in the garbage, even if you think it is junk.  Wayne machines the old shafts out of the counterweights and has new shafts made and silver solders them in.  They come out really nice!

Post the frame number when you get a chance.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 05:44:14 AM »
I'd disagree with you on the case , Rick .

With a bit of 'reverse engineering' it could serve . Sure , it's not perfect , but ...

Then , again , I'm no expert . Just a guy who works with what he has , first .

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 07:40:42 AM »
My plan is to work with what I have. Given the choice I'd rather have the correct M motor but it appears that simplex motors are hard to come by. My frame number is 06458.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 07:50:27 AM »
My plan is to work with what I have. Given the choice I'd rather have the correct M motor but it appears that simplex motors are hard to come by. My frame number is 06458.

Looking at the picture with the bearing staked in, it doesn't look like there is room for a crank seal and bushing. I am always leary of trying to undo someones hack job, but sometimes you have to work with what you have!

I think you might be money ahead to look for a M case and using that as a starting point.
Rick

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 07:56:55 AM »
I'd prefer an M case, give me a heads up if you hear of one.