Author Topic: VMBC site  (Read 2999 times)

pd

• View Profile
VMBC site
« on: December 24, 2016, 07:12:57 AM »
I just tried going to the VMBC site and got a 404 NOT FOUND message .

Maybe they are doing only Facebook and dumped the site ?
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: VMBC site
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 08:09:45 AM »
Pete, it works for me, although they haven't updated it since before the 2015 meet! 

The Facebook page they use is almost impossible to find with a google search, and doesn't allow non facebook users access.  I think they should give up on facebook, and put together a decent website.  I don't understand why they have such an issue getting a simple website up and running , such as this.  I know very little about computers, and I have kept this up and running for more than five years!
Rick

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »
Thanks Rick. This probably wouldn't happen without you. We appreciate all your information and the hard work you do for us. Merry Christmas, Bob

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
I just tried again and it did come up , but with the following warning : "Warning: fileperms() [function.fileperms]: stat failed for E:\HostingSpaces\vmbc2\vintagemotorbikeclub.org\wwwroot/ in E:\HostingSpaces\vmbc2\vintagemotorbikeclub.org\wwwroot\wp-admin\includes\file.php on line 906"

Agreed about 'site' priorities .

And I'll definitely second Bob53's appreciations .

Merry Christmas everyone .

Pete . :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 10:25:02 AM »
Just looking through the VMBC site and I see the last post was 3 weeks , 4 days ago and the poor guy hasn't had a single response .
I guess there just is no interest in that site .

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 06:30:11 PM »
As far as I can tell they've just about abandoned their website. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The main site is not kept current and the forums there are virtually dead.

The VMBC has really been pushing the facebook page (just check the club magazines lately) which I think is a bad move. I've been plenty critical of the VMBC management and decisions over the years but I've got to say that this one is a little baffling. Instead of promoting and trying to drive traffic to the club's site (that they are actually paying for!) and instead of trying to get the forum moving, they are telling folks to join the party on a third party site (facebook). It just doesn't make any sense. I agree they should ditch FB and take the party to their site.

The club obviously doesn't have anyone functioning as a webmaster so the site has been virtually untouched since it was launched. Seems to me like the forum there could be a gold mine but instead folks are split up on here, Smokstak, AMCA, CAI, and other sites. Their forum and registration was slow and clunky, but it got the job done.  I just don't understand why it isn't working in principle.

I get the same error messages and warnings that pd does.

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:48 PM »
Has anyone been able to successfully access the real VMBC site lately? As far as I can tell it's gone. It appears that the domain expired because the hosting costs may not have been paid. What a shame. All the time and money invested in the "new" site and then to let it just go down the toilet... ??? I don't get it. Club dollars wasted as far as I'm concerned.

Their only current internet presence seems to be on Facebook, which is extremely disappointing to me.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 04:36:05 AM »
DB, I agree 100%. I told Darren I thought he was going the wrong way.  He seems to get some people over on the Facebook page, I don't know why he didn't just use that as a redirect to the club forum/website.  I, for one, and I'm sure others, will never register with Facebook, for a variety of reasons, so we are left out in the cold.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:01:24 AM »
Not sure on this , but I thought I read some where that Warren was currently working on the VMBC site . How hard might be another story .

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 07:58:43 PM »
Site still doesn't work and there are no signs it will be back anytime soon.

Darren is stepping down as President of the VMBC and has apparently not identified a successor, at least according to the last couple of magazines. So, I highly doubt that he or anyone else in the VMBC is working on the site at all. Darren was, as far as I can tell, about the only VMBC leadership interested in doing anything online but he seems perfectly happy with the club's Facebook site.

There is some traffic on that site but I'm not a Facebooker (for many reasons) so I don't participate there. At least they have the meet dates listed there, I suppose.

As I said before it is so disappointing that the club wasted all the time and money on a new website only to let it die. This site has done more to promote the VMBC online than anything they've done!

But I'm still a member...20 years this year.  :o

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 04:23:47 AM »
I emailed with Darren last week and he told me there is a guy working on a new website.  I'm not sure why they have such an issue with a simple website. I've said it before, I have no idea what I am doing, and I have managed to keep this website running for six years now.

I should put a section here for VMBC related things and maybe I could get Darren or the next president to post club information here.
Rick