Author Topic: New guy  (Read 2396 times)

Jim

• View Profile
    • Email
New guy
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »
I just acquired a 47 and a 58 in Frost TX. Both run but having issue keeping them running. Looking for advice.

pd

• View Profile
Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:03:09 PM »
Welcome Jim .

Congrats on your acquisitions .
We're going to need a lot more info . Be as specific as possible .

Post some pics of what you have , along with the frame #s ( located underside of the steering neck 'box' ) and motor #s .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Jim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »
Pete

I read apost you had problems keeping your bike running and would not kick start. Wayne sent you a no piston and it still would not preform proper. Did you ever sulve the problem and if so what was the fix.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:24:36 PM by Jim »

Jim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 01:12:36 PM »
These are the only pictures I have at this time

Jim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
The auto spell check got me

Jim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »
This is the 48. I had to do is clean the tank and carb. I was told it had not run in 15 to 20 years. Gary Wollard built the motor.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:33:19 PM by Jim »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
Those are very nice bikes , Jim . I'm a bit jealous . ;)

Concerning my bike , it would start after I put the bike together about 4 years ago and would only run for about 10 minutes . After trying what seemed like everything , it wouldn't even do that . It wouldn't start prior to Wayne's bore job , but did immediately after , for about 15 or twenty minutes . Then the motor seized . I cleaned the piston and bore after that and every time since . It is now due for another piston . I believe that I have addressed every possible air leak , so hopefully a new piston and rings will be the last 'step' .

Mine seems to be a 'special' case , as everyone else , other than maybe you , hasn't had the same problem(s) .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Jim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 04:55:49 PM »
Well I think I may have solved my problem. I could not kick start it and keep it running. I removed the clutch spring to relieve the belt tension doing this took the load off the motor allowing it to start on the first try and stay running. Now I must look at what in the clutch is not operating right. Making progress.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 04:53:43 AM »
Welcome Jim. Be cautious when working on motors built by Gary.  He had some unconventional ideas, some good, some not.

Check your carburetor settings.  These bikes can be a bit finicky.
Rick

Jim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 06:21:42 AM »
Wayne has been a big help on getting these running. The carb would not adjust when I had the tranny belt on due to the load and when I did get it to run the bike would lunge forward.
Wayne said that the clutch may be engaging or sticking at low idle. He said this could cause the motor not to start because kicking it would not provide the rpms to start it. I also noticed when I kicked it that it would move a little forward and I would always have to readjust the kick stand. With the tranny belt off it starts on the first or second try and I was able to adjust the carb.

Jim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 06:35:06 AM »
Ricks I have been looking at a lot of the pictures of have posted and the bikes are beautiful . I read yours and Petes thread about his bike not starting and paid close attention to the recommendation that were given. It's been a learning curve for sure. The 58 automatic I bought came with a stand to put it on. I could start and run it but soon as I put on the ground it did not want to run.