Author Topic: 1940s servi-cycle dating  (Read 11188 times)

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1940s servi-cycle dating
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »
Correction on clutch pedal operation. It’s operated by left foot heel. Rear brake pedal is operated by right foot heel.

Also short fuel line is connected to bottom left side of tank. That line connects to small fitting welded to left side of flat bar about 2" below tank. Small filter bowl top connection screws into bottom of fitting. Another fuel line runs from filter bowl outlet to carb. Doomed, two plug, cylinder head and crankshaft are ones pictured in improvements for 1939, but connecting rod is older one with the screw-on flat spring that goes over the connecting rod crankshaft retaining screw.

Seat rests on round coil spring and has single leaf bolted to frame. Pics tomorrow, but I’m guessing it may be a 1940.

It also has heavy cast iron kick stand that swings out on left side.

Question about the brakes. I read that earlier drum brakes were stamped metal and later were cast iron. Is that the outer body of the brake, that spokes connect to, or is it something that requires brake disassembly to check?

That PAT. NO. 99301 still has me confused.

Thanks,
henrylr

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »
As far as I know, the early backing plates were cast, where as the later are fabricated steel.  The drums are pressed steel.
Rick

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 11:12:09 AM »
Are backing plates the curved pieces that the brake lining material is riveted to?
Thanks,
henrylr

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »
Finally some pics.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:15:47 AM by henrylr »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »
Are backing plates the curved pieces that the brake lining material is riveted to?
Thanks,
henrylr

No, that is just part of the brake shoe.  The backing plate is the part of the brake that holds the shoes and provides the lever action.
Rick

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 10:35:32 AM »
Thanks Rick. More pics.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:41:44 AM by henrylr »

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
Henry thanks for the photos. I've spent quite a bit of time scrolling through them and applaud you for preserving this little cycle while in your care over the decades. The readers of my build thread and individual posts probably see me as more of a custom builder and with good reason, but I spent at least half of my hobby life restoring cars, trucks and cycles to 100 percent original condition. This said you absolutely have a great candidate for restoration either to factory spec or to the original patina of a 70 year barn find in perfect operating condition. Of course as the owner bringing it back as a rider in whatever form is fine as well or selling as is or up and running. I'd sure like to see this one back on the road as I'm sure all on the forum would agree. Thanks again for sharing with us on the forum. I'm already following as one of your fans and of your Simplex.  Rick C.   

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »
Thanks Rick. I also have all the original clutch, magneto and motor parts, Tillotson carb and muffler. The only thing that may be missing is the connecting rod retaining screw and front fender mounting bracket. I put a lot of pics of the original seat in the Tanks, Seat, Controls, section.

henrylr

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »
Henry, that is one beautiful survivor. There was one at Portland last year. But it wasn't that complete. The rear clutch and brake pedal is in between the direct drive and the rocker clutch model. The guy at Portland seemed to think his was a '39 or '40. As you will find out, putting an exact date on these little scoots can be kind of tricky. Simplex engineers came up with an idea, and put it into production as soon as possible. Sometimes not waiting for a model or year change. I'll try to find the pictures I took at Portland and post them for comparison. Congrats on a family heirloom. Bob

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 06:48:17 PM »
Hi Bob53,

I want to sell it as is. Everything is original and it was gloss black with gold stripping and the large servi-cycle symbols on both sides of the tank. By the time I got, in 59, the paint and tank symbols had deteriorated and there were spots of surface rust. That is why I sanded and sprayed it. Any thought on what it might be worth?

Thanks,
henrylr

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
Based on my written descriptions, and photos, can anyone tell me what year it is?
Pics of original saddle are posted in the Tanks, Seat ,Controls section.

Thanks,
henrylr

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
Based on my written descriptions, and photos, can anyone tell me what year it is?
Pics of original saddle are posted in the Tanks, Seat ,Controls section.

Thanks,
henrylr

There is no one who can tell you exactly what year that bike was built.  Records just do not exist. That said, I have good information that the left heel operated clutch only lasted until December, 1940, as they failed rapidly. 

I am assuming that this bike has an early Wico magneto.  Please post a picture of the flywheel with a tape measure across the front for sizing.  For that matter, do you have all the engine parts?  If any are missing, it will be very hard to find them.

Hard to put a value on this, but the early shift bikes don't usually bring as much as the later automatics, as they are simply not as user friendly and rideable.

What are YOU looking to get for it, that is the question?
Rick

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »
I took 13 motor pics. 8 in this post and 5 in the following post.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:56:41 PM by henrylr »

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 01:59:07 PM »
Last 5 pics.

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »
Last pic in the last post is the third matching hand lever. Other two are on the handle bar. Only things missing now are wrist pin retainers, muffler and front fender mounting bracket. Crankcase has rotary valve, and it and all related parts in place, and it rotates easily and is nice and shiny.