Author Topic: 1940s servi-cycle dating  (Read 10993 times)

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1940s servi-cycle dating
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »
Thanks kartjockey. I spent several hours on patent search sites, including one that searches worldwide patent data bases, and 19 patents came up for 99301. One was a US patent for a meat chopper dated 1870. The others where foreign country patents that had nothing to do with bicycles or handle bars. Have you or anyone else ever seen a handle bar mounting post with any markings? I'm not looking to get closer to make date anymore. Just curious about the marking

Thanks,
henrylr

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2017, 04:38:52 AM »
I have searched several patents as well.  Including yours but didn't find anything either nor have I seen a stem with a number on it like that. I searched a Kodak one from a tripod I have and it came perfectly with a blueprint(1922).  But I know once you start paying attention specifically a person will notice something like that more. I don't consider myself a Simplex guru but I do take a lot of pics.  This allows me to capture a lot of things.  Like the 1940 I have pics of has 'Simplex' printed right on the drive belts but then later ones have 'Dayton   made in the USA' on them.  What does yours have?   

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2017, 07:36:50 AM »
The motor to pulley (small) belt is marked 5L25C-DATCC FHP 21. Maybe my uncle or father replaced the original over the years they drove it. It is still flexible and in good condition. The large, pulley to wheel rim, belt is de-laminated in several places, dried out and unusable, and I can't find any markings on it.

The tires are are marked SIMPLEX, have been flat for years, are dried out, have cracks and are somewhat hardened.  I wouldn't try inflating the inner tubes with tires in present condition. Can they be made ply-able again, not for driving but, for display?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2017, 08:30:54 AM »
The belts are nothing special, they are just off the shelf B belts.

As for the tires, I rode around the block a couple of times on some originals a couple years back.  I didn't go fast and they would skid very easily.  I replaced them with the reproductions that are available from Wayne, and the bike was a much better rider.  That said, I sold the originals at Portland a few years back for $25 for the pair, and I told him what I thought about them.  He said they were just going on a roller bike to get it up off the rim.
Rick

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
Thanks richS. Still wonder if there is a way to make the tires a little plyable.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2017, 12:25:45 PM »
continual wiping them down with silicon oil  (DOT 5 brake fluid)  or Armor All might be all one can do.  Even if they aren't ever actually ran it would be great just to preserve them for reference.  Are their sizes and appearance the same as the ones you see on our later bikes on here?

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »
Thanks. All I know is that they were on the bike when I got in 59. I just made a roll-around dolly to get the tires off the ground. I'll try treating the tires. I would love to inflate them. As I've said the bike is essentially rust free and the motor bearings spin smoothly. It would be an easy restoration.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »
Throw the Armor all away . It looks good for the short term , but actually breaks down rubber and vinyl in the long run .

You might try Wintergreen Oil . It's used in the go kart racing world as a tire prep . Thor Tire prep #12 .
Scroll to the bottom : http://www.trjkarting.com/misc-tire-prep-and-conditioners/

Here's a thread on conditioning old rubber parts and thoughts on tires :
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,62328.0.html

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)