Author Topic: New Orleans Build Thread  (Read 2789 times)

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
New Orleans Build Thread
« on: April 28, 2017, 01:16:37 PM »

I was rightly shamed into creating this... 

Some of you may know I purchased a complete simplex that was listed on here a while back.

This is what showed up.

I was told it was perfect but the crash bars were slightly used. I didn't want to restore a bike with such a glaring flaw so I had to remedy that. Since I'm bound and determined to do everything myself at my own peril I didn't want to just buy them. That would be like admitting defeat. Roughly a year later here I am in the same situation.

I cut the bent crash bars off the bike I purchased and finally just ordered a set from Wayne. It's been a bit frustrating for me as I've been looking at a disassembled Simplex stare at me from across the room for a while screaming "SAVE ME".  Once I get the Crash bars I should be on track to get started. I have most everything else. (Placeholder to describe just how wrong the previous sentence was). 

Once I get the crash bars I'll weld them up and sandblast and so forth. I'm on the fence about painting vs powder coating. Anyone have an opinion?

pd

• View Profile
Re: New Orleans Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:55:27 PM »
Shamed ??? I'm sure any 'suggestion' wasn't meant that way . ;)

As for paint or powder coat , powder coat is definitely more permanent . Paint can get scratched or chipped where powder coat might simply show a contact point , if that .

Good to see you start this thread .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 06:55:50 AM »
I just got my crashbars from Mahaffey Claus. Hopefully I'll be able to do something with them in the next week or so.

Wayne Mahaffey was great to deal with and provided quick service.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:26:27 AM by Eitek1 »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 07:12:43 AM »
Mahaffey Claus ...   LOL

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 05:56:36 AM »
I can't see from that picture, but where are the crashers bent?
Rick

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »
On the left hand side they are pushed back toward the rear a bit. If you look at the foot boards you can see they are at different angles. The right footboard is pushed back a slight bit.

I was thinking about trying to straighten them but I'd always be able to tell and it would bother me.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »
On the left hand side they are pushed back toward the rear a bit. If you look at the foot boards you can see they are at different angles. The right footboard is pushed back a slight bit.

I was thinking about trying to straighten them but I'd always be able to tell and it would bother me.

Remember that these were inexpensive bikes when new, and as such the construction was not very precision.  It is very easy to over restore these bikes without even trying.
Rick

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
It is very easy to over restore these bikes without even trying.

This will be the opening statement used when folks describe my total descent into complete insanity.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:11:20 AM by Eitek1 »

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 06:34:30 AM »
Send postcards and maybe pack a lunch for the trip.

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »
I think I will...

I guess I just need to accept that close enough is good enough. This is a project for my son and I to do and I guess I just need to have fun with it and not stress over the details (which I can do pretty easily, hence the descent into insanity).

I've already cut the old crashbars off so there is no going back.