Author Topic: new member / what year are these bikes?  (Read 5100 times)

cdinardi

• View Profile
    • Email
new member / what year are these bikes?
« on: May 12, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
Hello CJ here from California. I just purchased these two bikes for me and my girlfriend. Hoping they will be up and running for summer. Any help would be appreciated on determining the make year of these two bikes. I looked all over the frame but could not find a frame number. Both engines did have numbers. The blue one read M21372B, and the red one read M15495B

pd

• View Profile
Re: new member / what year are these bikes?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:55:57 PM »
Welcome CJ . :)

According to our registry , your blue bike has a 1956 motor and the red has a 1954 motor .

On later models , frame #s are located on the underside of the neck support :

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:10:25 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

cdinardi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 09:55:04 PM »
Sure enough its there, do not know how I missed it. The Red bike frame number is 07434, and the blue bike frame number is 13037. Thanks for the reply. Look forward to getting these things up and going.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 04:49:03 AM »
Welcome to the site!  Boy....you two have captured all of our enthusiasm in one photo!   Looks like your frame numbers are in alignment with the engine numbers and PD is correct.  Love the maroon bike.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 05:10:58 AM »
Those frame #s indicate you have a Red 1954 and a Blue 1956 .

The '56 has the same breather as my '57 . Our breathers are not stock according to the M manual . My breather had the original type aluminum 'mesh' filter material . Makes me wonder ...

And , I see the '54 has had the muffler deleted / replaced with a Y pipe . Never saw that before .

Anyway , if you need parts , Wayne is the best ( only ) bet .

Wayne Mahaffey
PO Box 655
Trinity, Alabama 35673
256 353 5552

Note that he doesn't do 'on line' .

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:13:24 AM by pd »

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 05:38:35 AM »
Welcome C.J. Great find on both bikes,  should be a fun project for the two of you. Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 06:44:26 AM »

The '56 has the same breather as my '57 . Our breathers are not stock according to the M manual . My breather had the original type aluminum 'mesh' filter material . Makes me wonder ...

I don't think there is any need to wonder.  The stock aluminum air filter was cast too thin in the neck, resulting in many breaking due to vibration.  Simple solution back in the day, run down to the local mower shop and buy a universal replacement for small engines.  Mystery Solved!  lol
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
Welcome!  I also love that maroon patinaed bike; rollin' dirty!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:34:52 AM by RickS »
Rick

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 07:08:42 AM »
Welcome CJ. That's a great find to get 2 bikes at once. Both fairly complete. Wayne is the go to man for parts. He has everything you will need to complete the bikes. I know it's a long way but in July, Portland, Indiana vintage bike meet you can find parts, 25 or more Simplex's complete, a bunch of great people knowledgeable about these bikes,and a lot of fun to be had. Have fun, that's what this is all about. Bob

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 08:23:23 AM »

I don't think there is any need to wonder.  The stock aluminum air filter was cast too thin in the neck, resulting in many breaking due to vibration.  Simple solution back in the day, run down to the local mower shop and buy a universal replacement for small engines.  Mystery Solved!  lol

Or , steal the one off Dad's mower . :D

Sounds close enough for me .