Author Topic: 3 inch tires on simplex as well as brake shoes  (Read 9079 times)

2strokeslowpoke

• View Profile
    • Email
3 inch tires on simplex as well as brake shoes
« on: May 15, 2017, 04:22:18 PM »
Hello all! Excited to start working on my bike which is engine #G1244
It came with 26x2.25 inch tires. I was wondering if I could fit 26x3 inch tires on it. Also are there any brake shoes that will fit my front brakes as my bike has front and rear drum brakes.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3 inch tires on simplex as well as brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 05:45:29 PM »
Front and rear brakes use the same shoes.  Are your shoes worn out or missing?  If worn, KartJockey on here can reline them for you, he does excellent work!

As for tires, the stock Simplex tire size is 26 x 2.50. An excellent reproduction is available from Wayne Mahaffey.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:47:12 PM by RickS »
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »
Welcome!  So you are the lucky guy to get Henry's '40.  A couple of us here are jealous.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:14:30 PM by kartjockey »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »
I didn't realize that was Henry's bike.  Do it justice and restore it right! There are not that many bikes out there as complete as that one.
Rick

2strokeslowpoke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 08:13:53 PM »
Yes the bike is complete. I am keeping frame and everything untouched. I am looking to put a motor from the 30s-40s in to it without changing frame etc. this way I will have all of thenoriginal parts for it. The wheels are very straightand yes I do have the original shoes. Was wondering what his contact in for the shoe replacement(if a moped shoe does not work)
Thank you all!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 03:31:06 AM »
We know your bike quite intimately.  If you haven't already go to the 'what year is my bike' category and click on the thread "1940s servi-cycle dating".  You mentioned putting a motor in it from the 30s or 40s.  Did you get the everything including the engine?  Even though I modded a Simplex very heavily(it was only a roller) I dig the originality of things.  Speaking out loud for a moment it would be great to see everything cleaned, lubed and reassembled on your ride given the sanctity it has received over the years.  Probably the best way to preserve it, display it and keep it at its highest value. 

Yes I can help with the brake linings when you get ready.  Contact info in the member list or shoot me a message from here.  It will find me.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:35:07 AM »
Where are you from SlowPoke?
Rick

2strokeslowpoke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »
I am from Rhode Island. Where is isnt a Rhode. Or an Island.  But the Dutch tried.

2strokeslowpoke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »
I know what the stock tires are. I am just wondering if anyone had experience with a 3 inch wide tire on these. I am pretty sure they will fit. If anyone has any experience with this let me know please. Thank you all- Neil

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 05:29:03 AM »
What 26 x 3 tire are you talking about?  A bicycle tire or motorcycle tire?
Rick

2strokeslowpoke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »
COKER Tire 74715 - Simplex Servi-Cycle 26X3 CL.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 08:30:24 AM »
COKER Tire 74715 - Simplex Servi-Cycle 26X3 CL.

I would say zero chance it will fit on the rim. These are a clincher style and are made for 20" motorcycle rims.  Simplex Servi-cycles use a 26" bicycle style rim, which is actually 22 1/2" in diameter.  If you saw this on eBay, they don't know what they are talking about.

Italy, Holland, USA, Australia and England all had Simplex brands. I think these tires may fit on one of those.

There is a lot of information on here about some various Coker Tires, as I went through much searching to find a tire that would fit on a Simplex Sportsman rim, which used a nominal 27 x 3 size tire, but the closest I ever got that worked was a 21 x 2.75 motorcycle tire, but I wasn't comfortable riding it at speed, as the tire was slightly larger than the rim, which was closer to 20 1/2".  I spent an hour with the Coker rep at a AMCA show going through all the tires they sell, but no dice.

If you feel like reading about that story, look here:  http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=1434.0
Rick

2strokeslowpoke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »
Thanks Rick. I guess I will go with the 26x2.50 tires from coker. I only want to go 55 mph top speed nothing more than that. Will keep rims original.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »
Just re-read my own post!  I miss called it.  Henry's bike was more than likely determined as a late 1940 considering the possibility of the heel brake vanishing by the end of that year. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:13:02 PM by kartjockey »

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »
Hi Neil,

Told you this was the place to get great info. It's really the only game in town. Thanks Kartjockey for the 1940 clarification.  The whole bike is in great condition. I rode it before I took it apart. It needs the few things I pointed out; new tires, carb needs a new bushing for the butterfly shaft, piston and cylinder needing carbon deposit removal, new rings for the piston and new wiring for the magneto and repair of the broken edge of mag backing plate. Also the motor bearings may be fine after an ultra sonic cleaning. The rotary valve assembly might also benefit from ultra sonic cleaning. Please keep us posted. I'd love to see this ridden again.

All the best,
Henry