Author Topic: Value for Insurance  (Read 2067 times)

Mo in Mo

• View Profile
    • Email
Value for Insurance
« on: December 11, 2018, 02:25:54 PM »
I'm trying to get insurance on my 1937. I realize the bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay. However what is a good safe estimate to put on my bike for insurance. I'm looking at Hagerty's is there any other companies else you guys recommend?

Thanks

pd

• View Profile
Re: Value for Insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
I have State Farm Ins . on my '57 Automatic .
They did or had an appraisal done at no cost . I recall I had to send them multiple pictures of the bike and what ever other pertinent information they needed .
I only have comprehensive coverage ( storage ) as it's not currently legal for street use .
It's extremely 'expensive' @ $4.23 per year for $6K appraised value coverage . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
I use Hagerty.  They are Agreed Value. I sent them a couple of pictures of each bike, I told them what I thought they were worth and they insured them for that.  I have my rat bike insured for $4000 and my restored bikes for $6000.  When I have sold my bikes, they usually ask how much I sold for. They use this info to keep a database on current values.

When using a regular insurance company, good luck getting paid in the event of a loss.

I would bet that if something happens to PD’s bike,  State Farm would pay out Actual Cash Value, which is likely $100 or so.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:50:00 PM by RickS »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 06:54:36 AM »
Rick ,

How do you figure a hundred dollars ? That seems to be getting close to scrap prices , at times .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 07:49:23 AM »
Rick ,

How do you figure a hundred dollars ? That seems to be getting close to scrap prices , at times .

We all know a 1969 Chevelle big block car, nicely restored is worth upwards of $75k.  What do you think the Book Value on that car is?  When you have a Stated Value policy, they pay actual cash value, NOT what a car is worth restored.  That is why companies like Hagerty's, Grundy, ect exist. They pay out Agreed Value.  Do a search and read up on this, it is an eye opener.  There is a nationally syndicated car writer, who's name escapes me at this time, that frequently writes about this exact issue.  Guy's spend tens of thousands of dollars and get back penny on the dollar.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
Hmm , sounds like I have a bit of research ahead .
Thanks , Rick .

Mo in Mo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »
Rick,

What do you think is a good value I should put on my bike?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 02:58:10 PM »
Rick,

What do you think is a good value I should put on my bike?

I’d try to insure it for what I think it’s worth, somewhere around $8000-10,000.  I haven’t seen a comparable sell, so it is hard to pin down a price.

Did you get it running well?
Rick

Mo in Mo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 05:48:11 AM »
Yes it runs great, after it gets started. It’s very cold blooded.

Thanks for a valuation. The only one I know that sold was from Gary’s Collection. It was bought by Bill E. I’m not sure what he paid. Talking with others I think there is around 10-12 left of which I believe 6-8 are fully restored.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 06:11:56 AM »
Yes it runs great, after it gets started. It’s very cold blooded.

Thanks for a valuation. The only one I know that sold was from Gary’s Collection. It was bought by Bill E. I’m not sure what he paid. Talking with others I think there is around 10-12 left of which I believe 6-8 are fully restored.

I've seen Bill's at Portland and it is a piece of jewelry!  No expense spared for sure.

The problem is they are rare, but also not a lot people spend big money on a Simplex.  For whatever reasons, the newer Automatics almost always bring more money than the earlier shifter bikes.

MO, what do you think your bike is worth?
Rick

Mo in Mo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 08:45:18 AM »
I was thinking in the $5,000-10,000 range would be safe. If I had to put a real value it would be a crazy number. In the line of $15,000-20,000. In reality a number so high no one would pay it, since I haven’t even thought of selling. However if someone pays that amount you could get another one and fix it up.