Author Topic: Simplex Honda GC190 Engine  (Read 2957 times)

Reggie LeGros

• View Profile
    • Email
Simplex Honda GC190 Engine
« on: October 21, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »

Hey Guys
I have a Simplex with a Briggs slant engine mounted with a CVT clutch.  I would like to mount a Honda GC 190 engine to replace the Briggs.  I planning to mount one of
Wayne's kick starters on the GC 190. Wayne says it will fit.  I am asking anyone with knowledge on mounting the GC 190 to give me advise and guide me along the way..  I will appreciate any advise you can help me with this project.

Thanks
No Shift
Hello everyone,
Glad to see someone start a new Simplex site.  The old Simplex Collectors site just quit.
I own 3 Simplex Motorcycles:1948 I just completed restoration, 1953 basket case,1956 Restored currently in a museum. I also restored a James ML and a 1954 Triumph Terrier.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex Honda GC190 Engine
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »
Reggie, read my thread on the stretch that I built.  I used a GS190 motor, which is the same dimensionally as a GC160.  I modified one of Wayne's kick starters to work with it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:03:42 AM by RickS »
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
Hey did you check out my bike with the gc190 on it. I went all out and I even dropped the carb down about 6inches to make room for the transmission.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:17:28 PM »
F you check out the 56 with a Honda cg190 and first roll out. I tried to give as much detail as possible on my use of the gc190 motor and the problems I encountered. Post as many photos as you can.

Reggie LeGros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »
Hey Oil Lamp
I cannot get any pictures of your bike.  I would appreciate you sending me the photos of your rebuild to guide me along.  My email is as follows: grochein@aol.com.

Thanks
No Shift
Hello everyone,
Glad to see someone start a new Simplex site.  The old Simplex Collectors site just quit.
I own 3 Simplex Motorcycles:1948 I just completed restoration, 1953 basket case,1956 Restored currently in a museum. I also restored a James ML and a 1954 Triumph Terrier.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »
That is because Matt, who started this build did not host his pictures here, but used photobucket.

http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=669.105

In this thread, starting on page 8, is when Reese took over. He did host his pictures here, so all of his modifications are still shown.

Did you check out my build with the GS190 and Wayne's kick start?  I put up a pretty detailed history how it can be done.
Rick

Reggie LeGros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 11:25:11 AM »
Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies. I am searching you all's threads to get all the information I can. The photos are extremely helpful.  I am sure I will be asking more questions as I go along..  Just received my new Honda GC 190.  At this point the bike is apart and being sanded to be painted. The conversion should go smoothly being that everything was done except changing the motor out and the painting.

Reggie "No Shift" LeGros
Hello everyone,

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 07:47:30 AM »
Reggie I will get some pictures sent to you as soon as I can. If you have Wayne's jackshaft and kick starter you have almost everything you will need. If you are wanting to put the transmission up under the seat as I did you will need a longer belt. I would take some current photos but I have mine taken apart trying to rework the brake system. With the GC motors you need a different way to brake. Rick moved his pedal down I'm working on a cable system.