Author Topic: Speedo whining and jumpy  (Read 3209 times)

razerface

• View Profile
Speedo whining and jumpy
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
My speedo whined very loudly on my first ride today. Bike had not been started for 12-15 years. It went up to 35 mph, then back to 10, while really the bike speed did not change. I unhooked the cable to try and let it survive while i asked questions. Is there lube needed?

pd

• View Profile
Re: Speedo whining and jumpy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
The best cable lube I found is graphite based .

Dri-Slide or , my favorite , Triflow . Both are excellent lubes .

You might want to lube the speedometer head as well . Flip it face down and drizzle lube into the cable receiver and let it set over night . Then a bit more lube .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

razerface

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:55:01 PM »
Drip it right into the cable hole? It will not go all the way thru to the face?

razerface

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:04:20 PM »
Triflow is graphite? Internet shows it as silicone? Am i seeing wrong product? Wouldn’t the drislide stick and dry out, not run down into the head?

Do you use a spray straw on aerosol, or a liquid squeeze bottle? Would aerosol go too far into the head?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:09:32 PM by Razerface »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:44:16 PM »
I'm sorry , that was misleading .

Triflow has PTFE . It has excellent penetration and lubrication properties . I had the same can long enough that I could barely read the TriFlow on the label and I used it sparingly . I haven't bought a replacement ,yet . :(

DriSlide is available aerosol and squeeze bottle ( both liquid ) , both with good penetration , as well as powder forms . They also contain PTFE .

The small clearance between the receiver and the nut tower of the speedo head will only allow a penetrating action . You'll only be able to apply a few drops at a time . That's why 'leave it face down over night' - to give the lube time to run down the mechanism . Never had or heard of any lube making it all the way to the face . 

And , yes , spray straw for more precision . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

razerface

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 06:57:09 PM »
I found the triflow in aerosol at the local bicycle shop. I could not find it in a squeeze, which was what i wanted.

Speedo is soaking!