Author Topic: Charles Eakin  (Read 2445 times)

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
Charles Eakin
« on: January 30, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
Good morning all,  Unfortunately, I attended the visitation for Morrie Eakin this morning in Gulfport, Mississippi.  He died from heart trouble a couple of days ago at 91 years of age.  He and his older brother, Charlie, grew up in New Orleans and were Simplex collectors.  Their Simplex story is featured of pages 5 and 6 of Gary Wollard's book.  I had a very good visit with Charlie (now age 95) at the visitation, and I have made a pledge, along with another nearby collector, to look in on Charlie in the days to come.  Charlie still lives in his house in Diamondhead, Mississippi, and has a sitter with him.  I know from conversations with Morrie, that he visited Charlie on a regular basis. Charlie said that Morrie had his own room in his house.  Morrie provided Charlie's connection to the community.  I am happy to hear that he is still in his house with a sitter, but I know from family experiences that there are sitters who are active with a person, and there are sitters who only sit.  Each of us needs social connections with others and things to do outside of the house.  Although I cannot go over there every week, I certainly plan to have some social activities with him.  I bought my first Simplex from him, and want to continue to support our many years of friendship.  Mike Montgomery Ocean Springs, Mississippi

pd

• View Profile
Re: Charles Eakin
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
Hi Mike ,

Thanks for sharing . It's a good thing , your pledge .
91 seems like a pretty good run , to me .

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:45:56 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Charles Eakin
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 03:41:51 AM »
Very good of you Mike.