Author Topic: sediment bowl  (Read 4332 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
sediment bowl
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:11:32 AM »
I'm debating on installing a sediment bowl but, the usual place on the flat bar under the tank is a bit close to the top of my engine.  Can you think of a reason why a guy couldn't/shouldn't mount it directly to the gas tank outlet? 

pd

• View Profile
Re: sediment bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 11:36:54 AM »
Paul ,

Do you mean something like :

The later models had them like that^ .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »
Thanks PD.  All the pics I saw had them on the bar and was wondering if I was missing something.  Not sure if I'm going to continue using the glass filter if I swap to the bowl but, I do kinda like the idea of hard line for fuel.  I'll just need a section of rubber line to connect between the hardline to the carb nipple I think.  That would help with the vibration produced also I think?  Did you use brake line for yours?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:06:30 PM »
I'm not sure what year they changed, but all the Automatics have the sediment bowl directly on the tank.  Early simplex used a larger fuel bowl, the later smaller.  Wayne has new Tillotson fuel bowls available again, as they started making them again.  They are more money than the made in china ines, but, IMHO, vastly better.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
Dumb question but, I see by the picture that it's not full of fuel so, how does it draw gas if it's not all the full?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 12:16:14 PM »
Dumb question but, I see by the picture that it's not full of fuel so, how does it draw gas if it's not all the full?

That's PD's bike, so who knows, but they are full of fuel on all my bikes that run!  LOL
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
OK.  I'm assuming his was just sitting awhile when he took picture.  LOL  I thought maybe there was a pick-up tube that I wasn't seeing or something.  I've seen upside down ones with filters in them on Onan generators.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »
That's right . No one has a bike just like mine . ;)

Normally , even on my bike , the bowl is completely filled . Except just after I hook the fuel line to the carb . Then there's air trapped in the line , which rises to the top of the line where it exits the bowl housing . The bubble will sit in the brass Land upper part of the housing , blocking fuel flow until I release the bubble via a screw I installed in the brass L  ( after that^ pic was shot ) .
Then all is well .

The fuel line in in that pic was painted copper . Look to the lower left and you can make out traces of copper showing through .
 Since , I have been using a stiff walled whitish plastic tubing to directly replace the copper . It uses the same compression fittings and has been working nicely for about a year .
I switched because seeing fuel in the tube put me a step closer to knowing the carb was actually getting fuel .

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:03:45 PM by pd »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 09:03:57 AM »
I myself ran copper tubing all the way to the carburator and I put a full loop for the vibration

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 09:05:06 AM »
As seen here.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 01:54:44 PM »
I'm considering using this nice S.S. high pressure (F.I.) 3/16" fuel line I've had left over from a "high buck" bike project I did awhile back but, the AN fittings needed for them are kinda "showy" and expensive.  I might be able to adapt something to use it tho?  Hard part is separating the braiding back a bit from the Teflon core and then getting a good seal without the "proper fittings".  Luckily, it's only gravity pressure tho.
I wonder if it's same O.D. as that plastic/Teflon line you used and painted copper?  Did that use the brass ring type compression fittings P.D.?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 05:06:14 PM »
Paul ,

Yes . I used standard compression fittings for copper tubing . The brass 'rings' fit the stiff walled plastic very nicely and seal fine .

Looking at your braided line , couldn't you use a standard barbed brass fitting and maybe a band clamp to finish it ?
Have the screw to the inside , so it's not as visible .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 07:28:12 AM »
I've tried them in the past but not had much luck with getting a perfect seal.  I may try softening it with a torch or lighter this time first... I may try a piece of 5/32" rubber fuel line over the Teflon part of the line on each end also, with shrink tubing to finish off the look.  I'll figure something out...eventually. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 08:19:32 AM »
I've tried them in the past but not had much luck with getting a perfect seal.  I may try softening it with a torch or lighter this time first... I may try a piece of 5/32" rubber fuel line over the Teflon part of the line on each end also, with shrink tubing to finish off the look.  I'll figure something out...eventually. 

Maybe try a few wraps of gas rated thread tape on the barb before slipping the hose on . Then clamp .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 10:01:59 AM »
Well all the plastic tubing I've ever used had a metal sleeve to go inside to help with stability. I have also seen both plastic and metal sleeves used to seal against the outer wall of the tubing.