Author Topic: Servi-cycle with Villiers engine  (Read 2185 times)

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
Servi-cycle with Villiers engine
« on: March 19, 2018, 07:18:19 AM »
Hey guys, I've heard Simplex tried a Villiers motorcycle engine some time in the early 50's. Wayne said he wasn't sure when it was, but they scrapped the idea because it was too fast and dangerous. Any other ideas or stories. I also heard they tried it in the last of the Servi-cycles, Sportsman?, don't know. I can't find any info on any of this. I know they put the Villiers in the Sportsman Senior mini bike style around 64 or 65. That was a cool little scooter that ran fast. Just wondering about the Servi-cycle. If they had a real motorcycle engine they might have held a spot in the market and kept going. Any info please share. Bob

Ed radtke

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Servi-cycle with Villiers engine
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
saw a servicyle on ebay 15-20 years ago that was kiba rough but do able.think it was in texas.

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 06:11:27 PM »
Bob, If you look on pages 14 & 15 in Gary Wollard's book, you will see reference to a Villiers powered Simplex.  In addition Simplex did produce a Simplex mini bike with a 200cc Villiers engine.  I saw one last summer at the Vintage Motor Bike Club annual meet in Portland, Indiana.  It was restored to like new condition.  I hope that this helps.  Mike Montgomery, Ocean Springs, MS.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:18:28 PM by mike montgomery »

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 08:20:40 PM »
Hi Mike, Yes I saw the one at Portland. Really nice bike. We've been trying to research a regular Simplex with a villiers motorcycle engine. Been looking for information on what villiers engine might have used. A villiers with gears on a Simplex would have to be a fun ride. Don't forget the interview tape on Simplex's. That is really valuable to all of us. Your the one to make it happen. Hope to see you again at Portland this year. Bob

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 05:04:21 AM »
Bob your interest in the Villier's/Simplex combination is an entertaining prospect & one I suspect would have perhaps caught the interest of Simplex at some point in time. One drawback would have been the "liability" concerns raised with enhanced performance & the resulting speeds projected. Legal problems have long been a source of concern in the auto/cycle industries. Upgrading the engine & drivetrain significantly would have prompted a hard look at the frame, fork & rolling components as well.

What hobbyist have done and continue to do with power train, frame and components modifications and replacement are a far cry from large scale production of reasonably safe and reliable transportation; properly priced and attractively marketed...profits maintained as well.

Personally I'd hoped such a Simplex would be presented with photographic evidence & appropriate documentation as a factory prototype, on the order of the Harley "single cylinder" Knucklehead engine, but not yet it seems.

I've found the Simplex frame a difficult one to accept a larger engine/transmission combination with; while also keeping the beautiful tank, frame lines and proportions intact. The bike's stance & size is so important to it's beloved appeal that I feature the company would have been extremely reluctant to change it much if any to accept a more promising power train. My own extensive modifications to the 1957 Servi-Cycles dimensions and replacement of major component groups was the result of won't fit and don't have, while searching for more power and performance and along the way I added some more strength as well to accommodate the upcoming addition of a sidecar. I don't think Simplex was willing to go to the expense of adding a new model and producing two separate cycles either. My opinion.

Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
Bob, you and Mike need to put together a couple of bikes to ride at Portland this summer!
Rick