Author Topic: paint edge sealer  (Read 4768 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
paint edge sealer
« on: January 19, 2018, 12:23:56 PM »
I've been looking on the "net" for a product I had used years ago for sealing up the edges of where the paint ends on a motorcycle gas tank and petcock bunghole to stops the fumes and/or fuel from lifting the clearcoat and paint from the exposed steel edge.  It came in a little plastic tube and was applied around the edge using a small paint brush or Q-tip.  Anyone have any idea what it was called, or where to find it?

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: paint edge sealer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
With a quick search for paint edge sealer I found one from the 3M company that's made for decals. Don't know if this is what you seek.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:30 PM »
No but, I  appreciate the info.  I'll look at some info on it that stuff, and see if it would serve the same purpose as what I used before.  It was similar to a clear nail polish.  It's too late now but I'm getting a little bit of "bubbling" on my filler neck and if I "re-shoot" or fix it, I'll want to apply something like I SHOULD HAVE before it happened.  Hindsight being 20/20.  LOL

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »
BTW, anyone else watching Barrett-Jackson auction?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:51:01 PM »
Paul ,

Why not cut the bubbling to open them a bit , apply a little clear nail polish and then press them flat ? Then maybe another thin coat on top .

Might be worth a shot .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 07:55:23 AM »
That's exactly what I've been mulling over.  Great minds....

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
Since the forums so dead, thought I'd post something.  LOL ends up there's not any paint bubbling.  I changed lighting in my living room and thus, ended up, I'm just seeing a shadow from a very slight "run" on the top of the filler tube I'd never noticed before.  With some new halogen "spot lights" I recently installed shining down from directly overhead, it now shows up.  Ha Ha.  Check the difference between light moved just slightly to the side vs directly overhead. I made an assortment of stainless steel trim rings just incase I needed to cover a poor re-spray for nothing I guess.   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 03:04:17 PM »
Paul ,

Good that you're so concerned over your bike . ;)

Just toss those rings on the shelf . You 'might' need them in 20 years or so . LOL

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 07:23:58 AM »
What can I say...I'm a perfectionist.  It's the details that matter and can make or break a project.  Every bike or project I "do" is at least as, or better than when it was new.  Doesn't look bad regardless.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:45:56 AM by carryall »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
What can I say...I'm a perfectionist.  It's the details that matter and can make or break a project.  Every bike or project I "do" is at least as, or better than when it was new.  Doesn't look bad regardless.

I'd run it , Paul .

That looks better than OEM . ;)