Author Topic: New 1954 Truck  (Read 20957 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
New 1954 Truck
« on: February 04, 2018, 11:18:32 AM »
My latest project is a 1954 Truck.  I am building this one with a stock motor and automatic clutch, unlike my last project that used a honda clone motor.  I have gone as far as converting to sealed bearings front and rear, as Simplex did on the trucks.  I replicated the brake system in the late style, which I believe started on the 1953 model. 
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: New 1954 Truck
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
Great start. I really like the trucks! Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »
I'm jealous .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
So, did you start with just a standard frame from a bike, and then cut and fab the rest of the whole rear end, etc. by copying an existing truck you have Rick S.?

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:13:57 PM »
Now I know why you asked me for those dimensions! That’s looking great. Keep us posted with your progress. Vince

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 02:15:15 PM »
 I do not have an original Truck.  The last Truck I built was powered by a Honda clone, and I did not build it to original specs, as at the time I did not have them. That said, I did have a factory measurement for the box, and estimated the rest from there.  I no longer have that truck, but I bet I was within an inch or two in most respects.

For this build, I asked Vince for some measurements from his beautiful original 1952 Truck, which he graciously provided.   Thanks again Vince!

I started with a 1954 bike frame, and have fabricated the rear half.  I built a tubing bender using a JD2 bender, and converted it to air over hydraulic.  I used this to bend the rear frame, as well as replace one side of the crash bars that were banged up.

I'm still working a ton, so progress has not been as fast as I would like.  I hope to at least have the rolling chassis at Portland this summer.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »
That's some nice work there.

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 08:48:19 AM »
I knew you had something special up your sleeve. Looks like another cool project to me. Bob

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 06:01:13 AM »
While I will not have this ready for Portland this year, I am making progress.

I had the wheels and frame and all the rest of the black parts power coated.  I used new stainless spokes and assembled the wheels.

It took 2 tries, but I now have the correct belt size. 

The brake system has all been fabricated, but I have not installed the linkage yet for the final time.

Next, I need to order a few parts from Wayne to get the engine together, and then on to the front fender.  I have already fabricated the rear fenders.  I left them long for now.  When I get the box built and installed, I can determine the proper length.

Hope to see all of you in Portland in July!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 06:26:09 AM »
Lookin' good , Rick .

Why is the left rocker arm closed and the right open ?

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 06:33:57 AM »
You said this was all about the builds. Looks like your working hard and having a good time doing so. Already looks first class and very nicely done. The Oklahoma boys will definitely be in Portland, reservations in place. Can't wait!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 07:18:17 AM »
Lookin' good , Rick .

Good eye Pete!  The closed one is a genuine truck rocker.  Simplex used them on some of the trucks because there is more pressure on the axle in turns, as these are steered and not leaned.  I had thought about welding a regular one closed and remachining it, but haven't got around to it yet.  When I do, i will change it out.  I used 1/2 axles on my build, and they are captured, as the slot is only 7/16 anyway.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 07:20:19 AM »
You said this was all about the builds. Looks like your working hard and having a good time doing so. Already looks first class and very nicely done. The Oklahoma boys will definitely be in Portland, reservations in place. Can't wait!

Looking forward to seeing you guys!  Hopefully good weather this year.

Have you and Mike been working on anything?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 08:27:32 AM »
Lookin' good , Rick .

Good eye Pete!  The closed one is a genuine truck rocker.  Simplex used them on some of the trucks because there is more pressure on the axle in turns, as these are steered and not leaned.  I had thought about welding a regular one closed and remachining it, but haven't got around to it yet.  When I do, i will change it out.  I used 1/2 axles on my build, and they are captured, as the slot is only 7/16 anyway.

I thought maybe they used closed rockers because of possible towing behind a car . The trucks being heavier and maybe loaded , open might allow the axles to be pulled out of the rockers , if the nuts loosened much .
But , the turning reason seems to make sense , too .

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 09:20:45 AM »
Hey Rick, I've been too busy to do much. Still picking up parts and adding to the pile. Someday? Mike picked up another Sportsman from hear in Oklahoma. Almost complete with all the hard to find parts.Another project. but aren't they all.