Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

February 21, 2018, 04:31:57 AM

News:

HAVING A PROBLEM GETTING REGISTERED?   READ THE FIRST SENTENCE OF THE REGISTRATION AGREEMENT!!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New 1954 Truck  (Read 98 times)
RickS
Administrator

1953 Automatic

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »

My latest project is a 1954 Truck.  I am building this one with a stock motor and automatic clutch, unlike my last project that used a honda clone motor.  I have gone as far as converting to sealed bearings front and rear, as Simplex did on the trucks.  I replicated the brake system in the late style, which I believe started on the 1953 model. 

Rick
ndian22

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »

Great start. I really like the trucks! Rick C.
pd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »

I'm jealous .

Pete . Smiley

Goes around , Comes around . Smiley
carryall

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »

So, did you start with just a standard frame from a bike, and then cut and fab the rest of the whole rear end, etc. by copying an existing truck you have Rick S.?
Vince

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »

Now I know why you asked me for those dimensions! That’s looking great. Keep us posted with your progress. Vince
RickS
Administrator

1953 Automatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »

I do not have an original Truck.  The last Truck I built was powered by a Honda clone, and I did not build it to original specs, as at the time I did not have them. That said, I did have a factory measurement for the box, and estimated the rest from there.  I no longer have that truck, but I bet I was within an inch or two in most respects.

For this build, I asked Vince for some measurements from his beautiful original 1952 Truck, which he graciously provided.   Thanks again Vince!

I started with a 1954 bike frame, and have fabricated the rear half.  I built a tubing bender using a JD2 bender, and converted it to air over hydraulic.  I used this to bend the rear frame, as well as replace one side of the crash bars that were banged up.

I'm still working a ton, so progress has not been as fast as I would like.  I hope to at least have the rolling chassis at Portland this summer.

Rick
oil-lamp

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:43:19 AM »

That's some nice work there.
Bob53

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 09:48:19 AM »

I knew you had something special up your sleeve. Looks like another cool project to me. Bob
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: