Author Topic: What wheel would work?  (Read 4179 times)

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
What wheel would work?
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Does anyone know what model motorcycle wheel will work on a servicycle?
Lots of references to Worksman wheels and some references to conversions using motorcycle wheels but the salvage yards say they have nothingclose

Any ideas? New or usedn

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What wheel would work?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »
  Worksman bicycle wheels are really heavy duty.  They lace right in to a simplex hub and use the same size spokes.  They are a little wider than the early 1" wide Simplex wheels and work in a pinch.  They also accept simplex 26 x 2.5" tires.

The problem with using motorcycle wheels is,  where do you stop?  Do you use the motorcycle hubs and brakes?  Do you try to lace a motorcycle rim to a simplex hub?  If you use a motorcycle rim, you can't use the simplex tires.  Now you have to find a motorcycle tire narrow enough to fit the simplex frame.  More questions?

FWIW, there was a guy building simplex replicas years ago who used the worksman wheels with drum brakes.  Here is a picture of one.

Rick

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:19:55 AM »
Whoa! I didn't notice the gear drive on yous. How did you attach?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
That is not mine, just a picture to show the replicas that were built with the worksman wheels.

Rick
Rick

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:30:54 PM »
That replica would have been cool but what was he thinking with that motor!  ::)
He ruined the whole bike with that thing. Thee has to be better ways to run a non-simplex, new style motor without making the bike look like chit
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

Kustomkarma

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
For the rear I'm going to try to lace a moped rear hub to a narrow 21 inch motorcycle front rim and use a narrow motorcycle tire. For the front I'm going to use the stock hub laced to either the stock 21 inch wheel (if I can save it) or a narrow 21 or 23 inch motorcycle wheel. I may use a Simplex or motorcycle tire depending on which rim I run. I'm building this bike Bobber style so it won't have a front fender and the rear will be bobbed short.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
I think he tried to get the bikes road legal, that is why he had all the lights and such. He also didn't use an internal throttle.  If one should try a non simplex motor, you really need to do something with the engine shroud.

Rick
Rick