Author Topic: Searching for information on Servi-Cycle Replica  (Read 6902 times)

Tom Bartlett

• View Profile
    • Email
Searching for information on Servi-Cycle Replica
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
Hello All,
First time poster here.  I have been informed that some group attempted to re-create the look of the Servi-Cycle (using a modern engine) back in the 1980s or 1990s.  Does anyone have any data on company, or their products or what happened?  I would appreciate any information.

Many thanks,
Tom Bartlett

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Searching for information on Servi-Cycle Replica
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Welcome aboard Tom.  Sorry I can't help much with your question, but if you find anything please post it here.  Bob Gurkin told me about a guy from virginia that was building replica's at one time but has lost touch with him.  Maybe Bob will see this and post his name.

Do you currently have a servi-cycle?  If so, post some pictures for us.  What part of the country are you from?
Rick

Tom Bartlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 09:35:33 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I had been a long-time admirer of the "looK" of the Servi-Cycle.  My brothers and I rebuilt one when we were teenagers (many, many years ago).  After I retired, I had the time to play, so I found a frame (no fork) on eBay, then I located a fork.  Since I had been building motorized bicycles, I had a few Worksman wheels and a couple of engines lying around.  I chose to go with a more modern engine, so I am installing a Honda-clone (4-speed, electric start).  I will try to attach a photo of the frame as I received it, then a rolling chassis on the Worksman wheels, then with the engine installed.

Being from Alabama, I'm not too far from Wayne Mahaffey and have been to his place several times. 

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »
Thats a great bike you have built there. Congradulations on a job well done. The fellow building the Simplex bikes was John Cubine. I lost touch with him in 2001 when I went out of the country for several years. His brother, Phil, lived in Fla and made the fiberglass fenders and gas tank for the bikes. The bikes were very well built and to meet modern safety requirements had turn signals, ect. The bikes were very expensive and they were asking $5,000 for them. I only know of one bike that sold and that was at the show in Portland, Ind. The motor was a 5hp Briggs with electric start. A pair of Phil's fiberglass fenders recently sold on Ebay for $47.00 I had ment to bid on them but simply forgot them.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:31:14 AM »
  Tom, that's awesome! That thing should fly with that engine. Have you ridden it yet?
  I've heard those worksman drum brakes work really well, probably as good if not better than original simplex brakes, and certainly a whole lot cheaper!  I just got a front brake setup from Wayne for my 53 automatic, and it was pricey!
Rick

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:40:44 AM »
Hello Tom and welcome to the forum.

You’ve got a nice looking bike going there. Keep us posted with your progress.

Mike

chainmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 06:26:40 AM »
  There is a company in AZ making a frame, and tank with similar lines  Its for the DIYer and you have to supply all the other parts but they will set the frame up with mounts for any engine. They are Pricey though!!!!!!    http://www.phoenixbikeworksinc.com/Phoenix_Bike_Works_News.html

Elmo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
That is a really nice bike Tom.

Reggie LeGros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 08:50:05 AM »
Hey Tom

I am really impressed with the engine you mounted on the Simplex Frame.  I have been toying with the same idea, however I don't have the knowledge of how to mount the engine and what to do with the back wheel.  Where did you find a back wheel that had the sprokit   and  brake? I would appreciate you sharing any information with me.

Thanks
Reggie
Hello everyone,
Glad to see someone start a new Simplex site.  The old Simplex Collectors site just quit.
I own 3 Simplex Motorcycles:1948 I just completed restoration, 1953 basket case,1956 Restored currently in a museum. I also restored a James ML and a 1954 Triumph Terrier.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »
Reggie, post some pics of your bikes!!
I think Tom used worksman wheels with a hub adapter that is used by the motored bike crowd.  The worksman wheels are built real strong, with 11 gauge spokes just like a simplex wheel, and you can get drum brakes.  If you look closely at the pictures Tom posted, you can see the front drum.
Rick

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 05:18:36 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but here is one of those Simplex Replicas for sale on Ebay.  I guess we will see what the market price is for one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplex-motor-bike-90s-repro-of-an-old-classic-great-condition-NO-RESERVE-/300826116722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460aa24272
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 09:15:01 AM »

Winning bid:
US $999.00
[ 1 bid ]
Goes around , Comes around . :)