Author Topic: Automatic Transmission  (Read 15585 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Automatic Transmission
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »
I went ahead & pulled the tranny off & apart today (still haven't received my parts from Wayne....been over a week....I'll try to call again tomorrow)

It's built quite a bit different than the one soon in the manuals posted on the site, as well as those shown in Rick's restoration photos.  The 2 governor weights are larger & solid steel & ride in 2 full length "cam guide" brackets instead of two smaller parts.  Also, they used bushings instead of bearings for the clutch hub.

The "fixed" side of the variable pulley (on the output pulley) didn't want to come off the "shaft" after I removed the spiral snap ring & it didn't want to come when I pushed on it a little bit with the hydraulic press.  I was afraid of breaking it, so I stopped.  Whats the secret of getting it off?  I'd like to polish the shaft that the moveable part of the pulley rides on.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Automatic Transmission
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »
That is the later style "twin track" clutch.  I think they started with those in 1954.  To get the pulley off, just heat it with a propane torch.  The aluminum will expand and slide right off.  Goes on the same way.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »
The thing I can't figure out is how you were supposed to lubricate the bushing & tube/shaft area of the clutch hub  There is a small hole in the tube (the hollow shaft that the bearings are pressed into) which looks like it would be a place for lubrication to pass (it's about halfway down the shaft, where it's out of sight), but there no visible source for oil or grease to come from.  I wonder if that big thick felt washer is supposed to "catch" grease from getting to the brake shoes or if it's supposed to be greased so oil can wick out of it & into the bushing joint.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:57:32 AM »
Neither of the clutches I rebuilt had that felt washer. I wonder if it was added later.  I will check my parts diagram when I get home from work.
I just polished the shaft and put it together with a tiny bit of grease.  I felt if you put to much grease or oil on, it would cause belt slippage.  The weights get oiled at the rollers.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
That felt washer is about 1/2 inch thick & you can see that it has caught some grease that was flung out of the joint.  it appears it just does touch the end of the clutch hub.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »
Mike, I just looked in the books that I have and they don't show that style clutch.  It must have been a late addition.  My twin track clutch from 1954 uses bearings on the fixed pulley side, just like my 1953 single track  clutch does.  Maybe simplex figured bearings were not necessary because the shoes engage at a relatively low rpm?

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:41:10 PM »
I think the lessen is to not set around idling very much.  With limited access to lubricate the bushings, I think you'd want to limit the time that the clutch isn't locked up.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
I'd agree.  You don't want to idle too long with these motors anyway!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:51:19 PM by RickS »
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
My Simplex has the twin track clutch too. I have not tried to disasemble it yet . it turns freely . Is there a need to disasemble it ? Also my Simplex does not have a stock motor, I am useing a Honda GC160 to power it. What do you think of using a jackshaft to get the power to the right side and then using the same stock twin track in the stock configuration for the rest of the drive train ?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
Bill,
I'm a fan of keeping as much original equipment as possible, so that's what I'd do (running a jackshaft). 

I didn't really think that I needed to pull mine apart either, but the parts needed to be cleaned & repainted.  I'm glad I did, because I found that what I thought was a nearly new set of brake shoes was in fact about 1/3 worn down (the shoes weren't running totally inside the drum, which left the outside edge not touching anything, giving the appearance that they were not worn).  There's still over 1/16" before the rivets would be be exposed, but I'm going to replace them if I can ever get ahold of Wayne.
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 04:53:51 PM »
I got most of the bike torn apart I need to take time to make a list of the things I need for this project before I go to much farther. I am going to check the twin track clutch  in a few days, what do you think the thickness of the friction material would be if it was new?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 05:27:39 PM »
Bill, the un-worn edge of the friction material measures 3/16".  The worn side measures .140".  There's .070 worth of material left before the rivets touch the drum.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »
Mike sent me this picture that shows the fiber washer he was talking about.  I wonder what year that diagram is from, as the earlier books don't show that part number.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
This image came from the "Simplex Automatic Motorscooter" owners manual & parts catalog that Adam Wollard sent to me (it's a reproduction).  I see that it's not in our "manuals & such" section, so I'll get it all scanned & submitted.  It's 14 pages long.  I assume it's from 57 (?) or so, as it only shows this transmission and it only shows the Phelon magneto, and it shows the 150cc parts.

Notice in the image above that the transmission hanger isn't a horseshoe like on the motorbikes.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 01:53:35 PM »
Got my tranny back together after some cleaning and paint all the parts appear to be good ,while remounting in the horseshoe bracket ,i thought I was missing a spacer after looking back at my before pics there was no missing spacer the bracket spreads when bolt is removed then tighten back in to place . I think i should be good to go!
Jeremy c.