Author Topic: Automatic Transmission  (Read 15557 times)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Automatic Transmission
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »
Pic
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 04:26:55 PM »
Hmmm.  I see something curious.  Your bike is most probably a '57, but your idler pulley is a solid type (w/ bearing I assume).  The parts catalog I have (from '56 or '57) shows the 2 piece sheet metal idler pulley replacing the solid one.  My bike, which is earlier than yours, has the 2 piece one.  I guess it's entirely possible that one, or both of our bikes have had replacement pulleys installed over the years It's a pretty small bearing.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »
I just glass beaded my pulleys.  Do you guys apply any type of clear overcoat paint on them to keep them from oxidizing?
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »
I did clearcoat aluminum parts on a 59 apache truck seems to hold up good
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 03:29:53 PM »
Ok, here's another question.  The return springs in my transmission are about a 1/4 inch shorter than the ones on the rear brake shoes......even thou they have the same part number according to all of the parts catalogs.  Anybody have any ideas?  Now I'm not sure which spring is correct for the transmission clutch.  Both springs are of the same construction, so I don't think the previous owner swapped in something different.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
Here is a measurement on one of my brake springs,I have clutch back together already I didn't notice a difference ,but never layed them out together
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 08:11:20 PM »
Finally remembered to measure & photograph the different springs on my rig.  I'm pretty sure the short ones were in the transmission & the long ones were in the brakes, but my memory is getting fuzzy.....

Anyway, I'm wondering which is correct for transmission?  The parts catalogs say it's the same spring for both, but which length is correct?
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »
Talked to Wayne today & he says only the earlier bikes used 2 different springs for brake & transmission.  This plays into my suspicion that my rear wheel isn't original to the bike (the hub had a lot of rust pits while the rest of the bike have virtually no rust and the springs are 1/2 inch longer than the tranny springs).
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
Mike, after seeing the pics of your longer springs iam sure I didn't have any like those . It is a pretty noticeable difference.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »
I was concerned about it, as I think the length & quality of the clutch springs has to affect the engagement speed of the clutch.  You don't want too early or too late engagement.
Mike Sal

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »
maybe you guys should just trade pulleys !  ;D

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »
Hey guys Jeremy here could someone tell me if I need a spaced here belt doesn't line up just right rubs on inside case , thanks
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »
Jeremy, according to the parts diagram posted on the previous page, it says you need a washer, part #3354. 

Would I be correct in assuming the bearing ID for the fixed pulley is 10mm and fits right on the axle shaft?  The reason I ask, is when I replaced my bearings the hole was 17mm. I thought I had the wrong bearing but when I went to look at the clutch on my 54 it has machined spacers inside and out.  (Pictures below)  I made another one for my 53 and all is good.  I could not find this part in any manual, so I'm not sure if it is stock or not.  Anybody?
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 03:37:09 PM »
Rick, iam pretty sure my hole in the bearing was the bolt size unless I didn't notice the bushing/spaces I never messed with that bearing, I answered my own question after looking at that diagram I put a washer in there that I had laying around belt clears but is very close.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »
it sorta looks like everything (including the pulley on the crank) need to shift to the left a little doesn't it.

I'll have to look in my baggy-o-parts to see what washers/spacers I have.  I just slid the axle & everything into a bag when I took it apart & haven't cleaned those parts up yet.
Mike Sal