Author Topic: Automatic Transmission  (Read 15375 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Automatic Transmission
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »
Rick ,

Thinking farther , the transmission has more than one variable . So , a shortcoming on one would likely be 'made up' by the other , to a point . Probably why slight variations of tension are not noticed .

I'm still gonna run the OEM springs in my transmission . ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »
Just a note.  The transmission on my 1953 locked up today.  I thought maybe it was a bearing.  As I was disassembling it, I noticed that the fixed sheave, which it heated to put on and off, had moved out and locked up against the tensioner bracket!  On the very early transmissions, there is no other mechanical means of attachment.  I guess that is why they machined a groove on the later ones for a snap ring!  I just heated mine and tapped it back to the proper position.  I then let it cool and added Loc-tite Green, which is made for penetrating already installed fasteners.  We shall see if it holds.  If not, I guess I will have to have a groove machined on mine.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:43:14 AM by RickS »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »
Rick ,

Maybe you need to add a little air scoop to help cool that sheave . Wouldn't take much and it could be mounted using the main transmission bolt . It would hardly be noticeable .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)