Author Topic: my automatic  (Read 10846 times)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: my automatic
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
I took the transmission apart last night cleaned painted got everything moving again, shoes look great!
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 10:19:20 AM »
Jeremy, your frame number is only 7 away from another known '57 bike (#16315, referenced by Bill Erickson from Pat Williams list).  This puts it 1,073 frames after mine was made.  From your frame & motor numbers, I'd say there's a solid case for your's being a 1957 model.  One thing to keep in mind is that Eric told me there were several left over '57's which were sold as '58's. 

Mine on the otherhand....I'm now thinking my engine has been replaced with a later model one (the engine number, 23561, is just too far down the road for my frame number).  Who ever did the swap did a good job & re-used all of the original hardware.  I can't find evidence of any nuts or bolts being replaced with other types.

My bike has the stubby tail pipe version muffler.  In reading the Wollard book, it sounds like the left pipe on the dual pipe version was just a dummy pipe.....maybe one of the other guys can chime in & confirm or deny this.  The book also said there is a restrictor at the back of the right side pipe.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 05:11:18 PM »
Mike, I have been looking at the pictures of the 57 automatic posted by Pete . There is a few things different if they are both 57s ,he appears to have a different headlights and taillight also I have internal throttle linkage also does his mag cover in those pics look like a phelon looks like holes around circumference rather than 3 clips, however i don't have the right year mag cover for mine so not sure what it should look like?
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
Jeremy, my opinion is that Pete57's bike is not a true 1957.  His frame number is 08406, which puts it well into the range of 1954.  The tail light is obviously from something else (looks familiar, but I can't place it at the moment).  His throttle is also from something else (mini bike maybe?).  He also has the Wico magneto (see all those screws holding the cover on?).  The Phelon cover is just smooth around the lip & uses the clips to hold it on.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »
Yeah,after seeing the mag cover I too thought it was probley older. By the way you posted that transmission diagram at the perfect time for me iam going to reassembled mine tomorrow . My paint should be cured by now
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 05:46:19 PM »
Jeremy, look at the pictures Mike posted of his transmission in the other thread.  Is yours the same?  Does the fixed pulley have a bushing in it or a bearing?

Rick
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
Rick, mine is exactly the same as mikes brass bushing,felt washer, got doctor appointment in morning rest of the day off I will post some pics during reassembly
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »
Great, post it under the transmission section.
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
I am cleaning the frame today,then get it primed and painted after that I can remount the transmission I finished last week . The crankcase I have put back together with new bearings and seal I will bolt that back on with both new belts,then the cylinder and rod get sent to Wayne he is resleeving the cylinder and sending back with new piston installed,I also have to buy the exhaust manifold and the compression plate then hopefully here it run.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »
I pulled the engine out of mine today.  They sure didnt' give much room to put a wrench on those mounting nuts as you undo the 4 bolts.  I think the guy rebuilt the engine, as it's clean as a pen inside & has great compression.  Just using the "wiggle" estimation, I think I've got at least .005 piston clearance.  At this point I'm not planing to pull the jug. 

What size was your jug?  Was to too worn to just oversize instead of sleeving?
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »
Mine was the big bore,but wayne suggests going back together as a 125 when he resleeves it he told me the smaller bore holds up better . As for the original sleeve it was completely rusted through this motor layer around in a barn in .pieces for probley 30 years ,and it wasn't a very good barn LOL. Sure am thankful for Wayne local place wanted 500 just to sleeve it ,called the cylinder a blind hole seeing how the head is not removable.
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
How much is Wayne charging for the resleeve?

Rick
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »
I think he told me 300 with piston rings and wristpin ,he wants to look at brass bushing in rod also to see if it is worn last conversation he told me to send a check for 200 and we would go from there.
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »
Well, i got the frame painted and the motor cleaned and remounted with a new belt will probley put transmission back in tomorrow . I am missing one of the mounting springs I wonder if they are both the same length I could probley go to town and just get 2 new ones. My wife finally gave me the go a head on the money for Wayne to fix the cylinder so sending it down this coming week.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 05:35:37 AM »
Jeremy, nice progress.  I'm not sure what you mean by missing one of the mounting springs.  Are you referring to the tension spring that hooks to the transmission yoke (called a hanger in the catalog)?  If so, there is only one spring.  It shows the same spring being used for the final belt tensioner (I had it my head they were different....I'll have to look when I get to the shop....I bought a new idler spring from Wayne).

From what I've read, there is a balance between the governor weights and the tension of idler spring that needs to be kept somewhat in check.  If you go with a hardware store spring, just keep that in mind if the bike doesn't shift the way you want it too (too fast or too slow).
Mike Sal