Author Topic: New simplex owner  (Read 25682 times)

Mo in Mo

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New simplex owner
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
I had a local machine shop check the round, it hasn't been honed. I did use the old rings. Wayne said the rings he has are not the right size and would require them to be machined down. Which can be done I just wanted to see if the ones in it would work, which could be part of the problem.

The manual said to put the piston in so the side with the angle faces the muffler opening, so that's the way I put it in.

The drill method did claim one cordless drill and almost a second corded drill. The corded drill wasn't a real good one. The cordless was a 18v dewalt but it was a few years old. So I think I still might try the running method

I have attached a few pics of the caliper measurement I got.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »
Umm , .05 what ? Always use units of measure .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2017, 09:55:05 AM »
That looks like .050 to me.  According to the earliest manual I have, which is 1947, you need .008-.010 for ring gap, which is like paper thin.  You have 5-6 times the ring gap.  If the earlier used even tighter gap, you are even further away.

You have the piston the correct way.
Rick

Mo in Mo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »
Just rechecked the manual and you are correct I was leaving a zero off. According to the manual when new it should be .004-.006 it said if it's over .020 it should be replaced. So looks like new rings are in order.

Mo in Mo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2017, 01:45:39 PM »
Well she is now in pieces and ready to be sent to various places to be painted, powder coated and chromed. I hope they don't take to long!!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »
Ok Lester, we need an update!  I am really interested in seeing this bike come together.  We don't see many early direct drives.

Did you get the motor running?
Rick

Mo in Mo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
Had a little delay. I had a place that was going to do the chrome I spoke with them in December. I called to take the parts to them last month and they went out of business. So I had to find another place. I called and emailed over 10 places only 1 place responded. I guess people don't want/need the work. So I dropped off the parts at the chrome shop today. They said it will take about a month.

I will take the other parts to get powder coated later this week, I hope. So probably another month plus before any more progress. My goal is to make it too Portland this year.

Derek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 02:25:41 PM »
What parts are you getting chromed? I had my exhaust "manifold" powder coated chrome, while it isn't the same as real chrome I like the way it looks. I may use it for some other parts too.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »
What parts are you getting chromed? I had my exhaust "manifold" powder coated chrome, while it isn't the same as real chrome I like the way it looks. I may use it for some other parts too.

I've seen complete motorcycle exhaust systems done that^ way , headers and mufflers . They looked very 'respectable' .

Mo in Mo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »
Attached is a few pics of what I took. Just lots of little things. I took my rims also, they said they could do them. However it was gonna be $150 a rim due to the amount of work. So I decided to get them powder coated instead. My muffler is copper and soldered to the exhaust flange so I will leave it as it is. I'm just going to clean it really well. I will just have to keep my leg off the muffler as it might get slightly warm!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:06:11 AM by Mo in Mo »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »
$150 to chrome a rim is cheap!  If I had a place around here that would do it for that price, I would jump at it.
Rick

Mo in Mo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2017, 02:08:05 PM »
Just got the chrome back. I was like a kid at Christmas unwrapping it all. Now just waiting on the paint and powder coat stuff.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »
That stuff looks looks really good! Get that together and come to Portland, Indiana in July for the VMBC meet.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »
Pretty , pretty , but for a few grubby finger prints . LOL ;)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2017, 05:07:01 AM »
Glorious stuff chrome. Rick C.