Author Topic: another new simplex owner  (Read 4816 times)

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
another new simplex owner
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:27:43 AM »
 Just purchased this basket case engine number is "M21448B" but I think it is possibly not the original engine...it was frozen when I received it and I filled it with penetrating oil and now it rotates fine with compression. The spark plug wire is missing, and the magneto backing plate only has one hole for a spark plug? I found this strange as the motor has 2 spark plugs? I need to remove the flywheel and see what is going on but have yet to find any documentation for removing the flywheel safely? Is the kick start gear left hand threaded? Do I need to use a flywheel puller on the flywheel after removing the kick start gear? Is there any NOS gaskets for this motor still floating around?

Sorry for all the questions, new owner excitement I guess.....

So here are some pics....

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: another new simplex owner
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:17:09 PM »
Can you post some closer pictures of the engine and transmission?  It looks like a model M, not an automatic, but I don't see any clutch pedal?  The handle bars look like the high rise style that were used on the simplex sportsman.

The crank threads for the flywheel are standard.  The drive pulley behind the magneto plate has reverse threads.  

Where are you located?
Rick

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:18:32 AM »

I have several motorcycle projects going on right now and I put the simplex toward the back of the shop, will have to drag it out again on Monday to take more pics, but I think the transmission is not the correct trans, you are correct there is no clutch pedal but the trans is a clutch setup, not automatic....I got a feeling I bought a hodge podge mix of parts, one fender is painted , the other is chrome..I have a feeling the frame is a 52-53 and the engine is a 48 and not so sure what the transmission is ....

For my purposes it is not important as I am going to build it into a military bike, possibly with a side car however I am going to do it without molesting the frame at all. I hope to have the shop cleared out next week and start blasting the paint and rust off of everything....

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 04:09:58 AM »
M code engines were built between 1952-1960, so I think it is possible that it is original.  What is the chassis #.  If it has one it will be located under the neck.
Rick

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »

I did not see a number on the neck but will look again.....

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
  I believe the chassis numbers started with the 1950 model year, but I'm not sure.  I know the 1953 I have has one.
Rick

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 02:42:35 AM »

I have a ton of stuff going on right now, but 2 of my motorcycles are sold and will be gone in a week or so, this will make plenty of room in the shop to get started on this project and I should be able to provide more pics and maybe more identifying characteristics.