Author Topic: What is better than one Simplex?  (Read 2747 times)

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
What is better than one Simplex?
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
What is better than one Simplex? TWO!  ;D
I just got back from a short road trip with my second Simplex. (been a good few weeks for me!)
I picked this one up off a craigslist ad, was shocked I was able to get it. The ad was up for a few days before I was able to make my way over to the coast and pick it up.
I paid $1300 for it. (I include the price so people can get an idea of current values) It does not run, but turns over well. I think it could run. The tank is great, frame has some tweaks, rear fender has some rust, not too bad.  All in all it is pretty solid. I was told it ran a few years ago.
So now it is time for you guys to educate me. See anything interesting? Out of the ordinary? It was sold to me as a 1948, but he really had no idea. (he was told it was a 48 when he bought it)
Engine #M21329B, Frame #13002. (what year is it?) 
What do you guys think?

;D ;D ;D

Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is better than one Simplex?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
WHAT BIKE????......oh wait, now I see it.....at first all I saw was the garage door.....what is the cylinder near the back hub..., a grenade launcher???

My vote is a 1956.  Your frame was made 95 units before Vintage's (although the engine was made 819 units before)

The 2 things that caught my eye was the location of the brake light switch (right behind the engine, instead of the rear lower bar near the back wheel.  The other thing is a bracket welded to the left side transmission brace.  Not sure what that was for (mine doesn't have one).
Mike Sal

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:41:49 PM »
Congratulations, if you bought this from Knute then it was the same bike I had been talking to him about. Unfortunately, I couldn't get up the coast to Atascadero to look at it. I think it's a great buy for the money. I'm glad it went to a fellow member. I agree with Mike, it its a much later model than 1948.

Vince

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:55:55 PM »
what is the cylinder near the back hub..., a grenade launcher???
That is an odd little canister. It looks like it should be there. I was wondering if they were an accessory at some point? (maybe for other bikes?) There is a small drain hole in the bottom corner, the clamp fits perfect, it seems like it was designed to be there! I'll try to post a better pic later.
if you bought this from Knute then it was the same bike I had been talking to him about
Yes, that is the one. I was shocked it was still available. Today was the first day I could get over there to see it. (2 hour trip) I thought for sure it would be sold before I could get there. I saw it online within an hour of him posting it but couldn't get away.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:02:02 PM »
Funny how these bikes seem to multiply in the garage!
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
Unless I can steal one, I'll probably not buy any more....I'm trying to break bad habits.  When I got into Studebakers all I wanted was a 1950 bullet nose....now I have 6 studes.  When I got into Kaisers, all I wanted was a '54 Manhattan.....now I have 2.  So far I've been doing better.  I only have one Model T & it's been 5 years since I bought it.
Mike Sal