Author Topic: another barn fresh simplex  (Read 4720 times)

WestCoastTed

• View Profile
    • Email
another barn fresh simplex
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:57:42 PM »
Hello all.  I am a newbie to the simplex scene.  Recently I took in a 1954 servi-cycle for repair and restoration.  Normally I fix mowers and such, but was thrilled to take in one of these beautiful machines as a change of pace.  I would love to show you all it and post a few pics but I don't know how to "compress" the stupid pictures. I've lost an extensive post 3 times trying.  Help!

Mr. Soucheck has been wonderful at helping me get started on this project.  I have a motor that runs and a drive train that works however I notice play in the flywheel end of the motor after it is hot.  Plus it bogs out and quits. Hoping its just bearings.  However, when it is ice cold (Michigan) everything is tight as normal.  Yikes.

More shortly folks.  I'll consult someone on the picture thing so I can contribute a little better here.  Gotta go drink a beer and lower the ol blood pressure after the computer has won Round 1.LOL-Ted Wagner, Manistee, MI
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:17:43 PM by WestCoastTed »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: another barn fresh simplex
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »
Ted, glad you made it over.  Send me the pictures and I will resize them and send them back to you.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:11:43 PM »
Welcome Ted.  When you say your engine bogs down & quits, is it just losing power before dieing, or do you think it's trying to lock up.  Rick & i had a conversation a few days ago about how these engines need quite a bit of piston clearance.

The loose bearings is kinda wierd.  If you can move the flywheel up & down (or in & out) more so when it's hot than when it's cold, it's probably time for new ones & a crank seal.

You live way way too far north for my tastes!
Mike Sal

WestCoastTed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:40:09 AM »
Thanks Mike Sal.  I am hoping it is not a cracked block.  I could see aluminum "moving" when hot more so than hard bearings.  I'll be tearing into it today and will let you know what I find.

I have a Carter model N on this thing.  I had the jets set at about 1 3/4 turns for the high speed and well over 2 for the low speed.  Most small engines I work on have a 1 and 1 1/2 setting.  I am theorizing the gap in the crank is causing the motor to suck too much air, perhaps leading to the what seems to be extra rich carb settings? It is bogging before dieing, wont rev up after about ten mins.  Don't think it is locking up though.  One of the more frustrating little two strokes I've struggled with.

Anyone know the settings for a Carter N?

Btw, thanks Rick for the offer on the photos.  I'm going to have my dad try to talk me thru the procedure first, so maybe I can remember for future ref.  My computer is on its last leg too, and does and doesn't do certain operations for me these days, so I'll let you know.  I was basically gonna post those photos I sent you the other day if you still have 'em.----------------Ted

WestCoastTed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:09:25 AM »
Here's some photos of the 54 Simplex I'm working on.  Engine's in pieces, seeking a new crank, rod, and bearings, probably going to introduce myself to Wayne.  My customer who restores ancient cars seems to think I can find bearings thru Fastenal.  I have a good tank for this bike as well.  Missing a tailight assembly as well as the fender skirt badges.  Also wondering if someone has a good photo of the return spring assembly on the kick start as well as the brake pedal.  Scratching my head on that one.

Also attached are photos of my homemade wooden scooter I designed myself.  I am a sailor by trade and thus the styling.  It is steam bent cedar over a plywood frame.  Power is by a Toro/suzuki mower engine transmitted thru a twisted belt to a jackshaft with serpentine to a double bike rim.  Goes 35, got about 600 miles on it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:12:56 AM by WestCoastTed »

WestCoastTed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »
Btw, Rick, I hope I'm not exasperating you with questions.  The more the wife and kid let me use the computer to cruise this site, the more of my own questions I'm answering, i.e. color choices.  Great site, getting better at it every day.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »
Wow, that's a wonderful wooden scooter.  I've always wanted to learn to bend wood, but never had a project that required the skill & I've got too many other projects in the way to just do it for the fun.....I also like that old cook stove in the background too!

Would you mind sharing the motor & frame serial numbers (and the owner's name if he doesn't mind) from the Simplex?  I'd like to include it in our registry of bikes.

The bearings are no problem to source.  The crank seals are less than 15 bucks thru Wayne.  If your rod is no good, they're about 50 bucks.
Mike Sal

WestCoastTed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
Does anyone know what kind of hammer to use when your computer is being ugly?!LOL. 

Thanks for the compliments mike.  The steam bending was not too hard.  Used a piece of pvc with a propane burner on a saucepan for this.  Gotta keep the temp just right, 180-190 to make it work, and use the correct wood.  I used red cedar, which I found out too late was not advised for steaming.

My frame number is 08315.  My motor is M16441B.  I wonder if they are "correct"?  The guy I'm fixing this for may be trading it to me for my 73 VW beetle I lost interest in years ago.  Sayin' my prayers. 

I was gonna include a pic of my other scooter which is sheathed in aluminum, but I can't compress the pic enough.  Stand by, I'll get it figured out.  Plus if you have a gmail account, I could send you an album of the "build" of these two scooters.-Ted

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:41:13 PM »
Ted, your frame & motor numbers are perfect together for a '54 model.  The frame was made 91 units after Rick's, but your motor was made 188 units before his motor (more proof that they just stockpiled parts & just grabbed what ever was in front of them when it came time to assemble vehicles.....or it could mean his motor was a warranty replacement soon after it was sold new).

I would always be worried if I left the wood in too long, or not long enough....
Mike Sal

WestCoastTed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »
Finally got ahold of Wayne yesterday, nice guy, great prices, and a wealth of information.  Thank you all for the referral.  Just gotta wait for the crank and rod, and assembly can begin.  Thankfully, our artificial summer is over, so I don't mind waiting.............-Tugboattedd

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 06:35:35 AM »
Ted, did you ever get anywhere with this bike?
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »
WestcoastTed, I really like that boat bike that is a real looker.  8)

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
  I wonder if that bike goes wooden wooden when its revved up ?  LOL  Its a beauty for sure . I hope Ted comes around to answere . It would be nice to see how it turns out .

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 07:27:13 PM »
Have you thought about going to Portland Ted? We went for the first time last year and had a blast. I would really like to get together and learn more about the steam bending. I have always wanted to do it, but know nothing about it. I am also a woodworker and cabinet builder. I have kerf cut wood for bending... but would really like to learn the real process. James