Poll

why does everyone sell their bikes so cheap?

I'm happy with getting $5,000 for my servi-cycle after all the work I put in it
0 (0%)
I'm happy with getting $5,000 for my servi-cycle after all the work I put in it
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: market value  (Read 59487 times)

Ed Steele

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - edwinjsteele
    • View Profile
    • Email
market value
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:37:20 AM »
We as simplex owners are the ones who control how much these bikes are worth. I personally will never sell mine, I will leave that up to my children, it has too much of my familly history wrapped up in it for me to put a price on it. but these bikes are rather rare, and should be worth alot more than what i see them sell for. I understand that if the value of them goes up then so does the cost to restore them. but I watch these auction sites and see old scooters and bicycles go for way more than a restored, rare, and unique servi-cycle goes for.

Thanks, I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks about this.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: market value
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »
  The market for servi-cycles seems to top out at around $6000.  I seem to recall Wayne telling me he sells restored bikes for $6200, but don't quote me on that.

One of the reasons for the price cap is supply and demand.  This is a niche market and there are only so many people interested in them.  Now, if they had been built by Harley-Davidson, I think they would command more. But then again, a Harley Hummer goes for around the same in restored condition.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:15:20 AM »
The term "rare" and "collectible" have two different meanings when it comes to prices.  The general rule is that what was popular back then is popular now.....that's why more '57 chevys were sold than 57 studebakers.  Today the studebaker is much more rare  but the chevy will always bring lots more money.  I'll bet a Cushman will outprice a Simplex almost any day. 

Personally, I like cheap prices.....since I prefer buying Simplex's rather than selling them.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »
As far as prices....my old brain is struggling to come to grips with today's values.  My history of Simplex values goes like:

1972.....traded bolt action 22 rifle for non-running Simplex (rifle = $10).
1973.....dad gave Simplex away (zero dollars).
1990.....watch a non-running Simplex sell at farm sale ($150).
1990.....2 weeks later see same bike at swap meet ($400 price tag).
2011.....watch non-running Simplex sell at Hartung auction ($2,200).
2012.....purchase non-running, but complete, bike ($1,400 + western flyer bicycle).

Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
So far a the pole goes , it does not have enough anwsers , the one I like would be why would you want to sell you beautiful Simplex after all that work. Not me .Bill Marcum 8)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:09:57 PM by bill marcum »

Ed Steele

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - edwinjsteele
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
I agree bill, I never sell mine, as for my daughters, i hope they don't either, but if they need to, ie need the money, i would like to think that it would help them out greatly in a pinch, I almost had to sell mine earlier this year, but i managed to keep it. Now i can't wait to finish it

Doodle Bugger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
I know...here I go digging up another old thread. Sorry, I just wasn't around here when this thread was fresh!

I don't get it either. My experience is really almost all with Doodle Bugs, but this could just as easily apply to a Simplex:

-$5000 seems to be about the upper limit of what I see them listed for when restored to pretty close to correct.

-Most are actually selling in the $3000-$3500 range, done, complete, and running. Often with accessories, too.

-In most cases you can't even buy just the parts to restore your own for $3000.

-A professional restoration (including a real engine rebuild) will be $6000+ and that doesn't include the cost to buy the bike in the first place.

-Loose parts prices on places like Ebay are getting to be just out-of-sight high. A good, correct scooter could be parted out on Ebay for 2x what people are willing to accept for complete scooters, so they're leaving money on the table, I guess. It could be argued that there is more demand for the parts than there is for complete scooters, but then again, if the parts are "worth" that much, having them all together and on a scooter should make them "worth" no less, right? I don't want to see folks rip apart nice complete machines to part them out.

Overall, I just don't understand why someone would be willing to let a complete bike go for so little when the parts & restoration costs are so high.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:03:39 AM by Doodle Bugger »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »
One of the problems we're having in the old car hobby, especially with Model T's & Avanti's, is that they are indeed worth more in parts then they are together.  The parts for Avanti's are getting really hi, so there's a guy out east that is buying cars & stripping them.  It made the supply of cars too few & too expensive for me to have one.

A guy in Minnesota is doing the same thing with model T's.

I kept very detailed records on what I spent on my Simplex restoration & did everything but the paint myself.  So far the total is over $3200 & I still need to buy correct tires.  As mentioned, it's rare to see one sell for more than that.
Mike Sal

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
I think if there were rarer versions of the bike,adorned with things the others didn't have...chrome ,more power,different seats or whatever,then one could expect one to climb.  But they are kinda plain..only thing I notice odd is the truck and military one......theyre usually more? No?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »
"rarer versions of the bike"

The only rarer version that's likely worth more than the rest sits in the Smithsonian Institute .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
There were chromed models built, they are called deluxes.  They had chrome on the tank, wheels, fenders and headlight.
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
Seen that somewhere.. Thought someone did it.  There goes my theory!