Author Topic: Paint or Powder Coat The Tank?  (Read 2381 times)

OEM

• View Profile
    • Email
Paint or Powder Coat The Tank?
« on: April 01, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »

On past projects, I have had the frame powder-coated and the tank and fenders painted.  I am starting on a Simplex.  ABC PowderCoating also does paint in their rod shop operation.  The owner wants to powder the tank and fenders; he will do any striping or decal work and clear the entire project.  This would be much cheaper for me.  I just never heard of nor thought of this.  Do you have any opinions?  Thanks.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paint or Powder Coat The Tank?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
What are they going to use for filler?  I don't think you can bake the plastic body fillers normally used in body work?

Rick
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »
Ok here's my two cents. I had my bike done in powdered coating and there was great pitting on the fenders and waves on the tank. The man that did the work just used powdered coating for a base then handed it smooth then applied the color. He even did the lettering mostly in powdered coating the hand painted the details and clear coated over it. Turnkey out the door was around 1000.00 but that was 98%of the bike. We matched the rim color as close as we could He even got the pin stripping darn close to size and placement. Yea the a few places He could of did better like a finer brush on the lettering a few less drips but hey that's the personality of the bike. Its your call.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »
I don't think the surface finish of powder coating is smooth enough for the tank & fenders (some may be better than others).  I'm shopping right now for someone to paint my tank.  I got a quote from a guy who works for a corvette restoration shop on friday of $350. 
Mike Sal

OEM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 07:06:09 PM »

I am concerned about the smooth finish.  However these guys painted a Honda tank for me; it was perfect so they know what I expect.  They use a metal filler like Lab Metal but a different supplier, but if it needs much filler, I paint it.  Miike, $350 would be a good price here; tanks in one color start about $400+.  Oil-lamp, were you happy with the texture of the job? ... I'm looking at one color, (black) ...then outline the tank in a stripe, decal and clear.

I'm considering chrome on the wheels ...what do you guys think? I'm going to respoke anyway.         

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 07:42:27 PM »
 n Different strokes for different folks ,,,    My contention ( I love that word )  is that I amn riding my machine , Hence I don't want it  to be too hard to fix when ( not if ) I fall off of it     paitent work with rustoleum rattle can is good enough fo myself ,  Chrome will make the rims brittle and you have to bake them in the oven ( 400 degrees for about 4 hours )   make shure wife is distracted ,  to relieve them ,  I'd like to hear the different opinions of owner / builders about overall finish quality ,      thanks for all    Larry.   

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:36:08 PM »
The finish I received was very smooth almost like glass. If you look at the close picture of the engine on my bike. You see the tank fender and motor cover all showing the clouds and me in the reflective surface. Can't ask for more from paint.

OEM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »

OK Oil-Lamp ... your testimony along with the cost made the decision for me. Thanks to all of you .... and I am also going to powdercoat the rims ....I see chrome is not good idea.

However, I just filled my truck with $3.93 gasoline, so I may postpone working on the
Simplex !  OEM