Author Topic: Fender tip  (Read 2593 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fender tip
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »
Was it any of us who bought this? I meant to snatch it up. Pretty sure this is a Gary original. He was getting $95 a piece for them. I thought it funny the seller referred to it as a hat badge. Wished I would have cracked for more of Gary's items.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200734027345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fender tip
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
Wow, that is some document.   I didn't even know there was a "simplex club".  Was this something that Gary tried to organize?  I wonder how far off the ground it ever got?  I've not heard anyone talk about that tip that was on ebay.

I didn't know Gary sold parts.  I thought he was just a rabid simplex collector.  I'm planning to go visit Adam the 2nd week of May if he's available.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
Tom, look at the pictures carefully.  I believe it was a hat pin that Gary sold, and not the fender tip.

What year is this product list from?

Rick
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:07:25 PM by RickS »
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:10:24 AM »
I did buy the hat pin. Listing says it is over 4" long so it probably is the fender tip. The club was formed in the early '90s by Gary. Lots of the 'originals' were invited as honorary members. I think I have a couple of the news letters. The list is from 1991 or 1992.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 04:40:49 AM »
Tom, I read the size thing, but in the picture of the fender tip, it has a point going to the center, and the hat pin does not.  Maybe Gary made them in 2 styles?

Rick
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:15:54 AM »
Tom, did you happen to buy the vacuum test kit?  How does it work?  By looking at it, I'd say  part 14B goes where the carb would go, how about part 14A?  What should the reading be?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 11:38:42 AM »
Gary did organize a club and publish a newsletter based on the original factory publication.  I don't recall exactly when he started this idea, but it was probably around 1990-1991.  I have the issues, and I'll check the dates.  I seem to remember that some engines had differences in the center to center for the carb mounting studs, thus the reason for two separate plates.  He did a lot of experiments with adjusting base compression, and measured all of the changes with a vacuum gauge.  He did market both hat pins and fender tips.  He restored a good many engines for collectors and friends.  I should have recorded some the conversation that I heard between Gary and Norman Burton! Two brilliant guys for sure!

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
Gary sold the finder tips. He made them in pewter and chrome plated brass. I spoke with Gary about a month before his death and he was telling me how he also plated the brass and then shaved the chrome off of the raised letters to give gold looking raised letters. We were discussing price on the mold for this item and he wanted $1,200.00 for it. I was definately interested but Gary said he wasn't well enough at that time and to wait a couple of months to do the deal.
Needless to say, the deal didn't happen.