Author Topic: Gary Wollards Simplex Book  (Read 4749 times)

Johngraham1213@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
Gary Wollards Simplex Book
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »
It is out of print, does anyone know where I can purchase one.
Thanks John Graham

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gary Wollards Simplex Book
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:45:15 AM »
John,  I bought a copy of Gary's book from him last year before he passed away.  He even autographed it.  At the time he told me he was down to his last box of books.  I would contact his son Adam at  adamwollard@hotmail.com, and see if he would sell you one. If not, contact me and I'll see if I can help find you a copy.

Rick
Rick

Johngraham1213@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »
Thank you, I will send him an email.  I have been unable to find a simplex that is far enough along for me to complete the restoration, last week I ran an add on Craigs list that I was looking for one, and a gentleman called me and I went and looked at a 1953 that has the frame restored, engine rebuilt, magneto rebuilt, new brakes, new bearings in wheels, new spokes and powder coated rims, clutch rebuilt.  He is a the son of the Harley/Honda retailer in New Orleans, and he knew Mr. Treen, from when he would come in the shop to talk to his dad.  He started restoring it and lost interest, I bought it and some kind of simplex frame and tank that they made in the 30s that for a mini bike. He has at least 100 hondas that he has restored, and 200 more he has accumulated.  I apologize for rambling on but I am rather excited.  Bike is missing the key, any ideas.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:18:11 AM »
John,  start a build thread on the the '53 and post pictures of it and the other stuff you bought!
Rick

adamwollard

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »
I sent you an email John.

chainmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 04:13:50 AM »
 In would also like to find a copy of this book !!

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:54:42 AM »
Old thread but what of this book you speak of??? Available?
Enlighten a newb!
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
John, Gary Wollard (who passed away last spring) was a huge collector / historian of all things Simplex.  He wrote a book about the company in the early 90's.  It's out of print, but his sons, Adam & Leslie, still have a box of books left over (not sure what the count is).  They're 30 dollars plus postage.  I have a copy enroute right now.  I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet him, as my impression is he "was Mr. Simplex".  He even organized a Simplex convention in New Orleans in '95 (the turnout was poor, so a 2nd event never took place).

I've seen at least one copy turn up on ebay, but I'd rather support the family by purchasing directly from them.  If you're interested in a copy, look in the membership files & send Adam an email.
Mike Sal

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »
Adam, please send me an email as I would like to purchase a copy of the book.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »
Adam's email is adamwollard@hotmail.com

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:28:18 AM »
So what is the book about? History, restortation, pictures, parts, etc?
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 08:31:52 AM »
Mostly a chronology of the machines that were available.  Some history and specs on motor, transmission, wheel and such.  It was written relatively early in Gary's simplex years, and he learned much more as time went by.  Too bad he never finished his 2nd book, this would have been more in depth.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »
Received my package from Adam this weekend.  A copy of the book, 2 T-shirts, 2 hats, & 2 plastic cups, and a flyer type poster from the '95 convention in New Orleans.  I'll post pictures tomorrow.

The book has been autographed by The 2 Treen brothers, Stan McCarty, Charles Eakin, & Norman Burton...pretty cool.

He also gave me a copy of the company brochure (since it's a copy, the photos aren't as crisp as those shown in the booklet (posted in this section).  He also included a copy of the parts catalog. 
Mike Sal