Author Topic: 1964 senior...  (Read 9270 times)

bobbed_out

• View Profile
1964 senior...
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »
I found this old simplex sportsman senior on Craigslist. It said to be complete and comes with the title and service manual. Haven't seen it in person yet but plan on picking it up next weekend. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal and I'm excited to start restoring it! Just wanted to ask what you guys thought something like this would be worth.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1964 senior...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »
Not sure on what it is worth but having that engine on there is everything.  I have an original brochure for 1964.  I will post it in the 'Manuals and Such' section. 

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:10:14 AM »
By the way. my name is Tom. There is a thread in the Other Things Simplex area called Where are you from? Introduce yourself.  Glad your with us!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »
How hard are those engines to find?  What else were they used on?
Rick

bobbed_out

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
My names Kali, I will introduce myself properly in the introduction thread. Not sure what else these motors came in...but the seem pretty rare, I'm having trouble finding much info on it.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
i think there's a senior for sale on ebay right now (motorcycle "other makes" section).  Doesn't have the original motor.  Might be worth keeping an eye on the selling price for reference.  It's at 500 bucks so far.
Mike Sal

smallbore

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »

Any rare bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

For What ever its worth... That bike is a late 1964 model. The Senior Sportsman was only made 1963 to '65. Some where produced in 1966 but they were badged as a Valient. 1963 had a long plate on the steering stem, and a narrow flat plate on the top of the tripple tree. Early '64 was exactly the same, however... Late 1964 had the same long plate steering stem, but used a wider top plate on the tripple tree that had a dip in the center that looked like a "V".  The 1965 model used the "new" tripple tree plate, but they shortened the length of the plate between the frame tubes and the steering stem. The '66 model had the same gas tank graphics but the name Simplex was removed in front of the "V". Also... '65 had a rear grab handle as part of the frame that year and a down tube was also removed in the rear of the cradle.

ENGINES:
Two continental engines were used on these bikes. The AU10 Red Seal 175cc (7hp) and the a smaller 4.9hp. Also.. A Tecumseh 3.5 hp was available on request. The Tecumseh used the open cradle frame. All the above used forward foot pegs. There was also a Villiers 200cc 4 speed (11hp) model that had its footpegs directly under the rider instead of the forward position, and had a different shaped rack in the rear. Also... Though not in the catalog a Tecumseh AH-58 2-Stroke could be ordered. This and the Villiers are the rarest to find today.

That bike in the photos seems to have the Red Seal engine in it which are very hard to find today in any condition. The vintage Go-Kart guys use these and are willing to pay for them but if you were able to hook up with some of those guys you maybe able to get that one in order. I would see if the seller has the kick start for it. Not all Sportmans had a kick start as it was an option, but if it did come with one it would be a great bonus. You didnt state the selling price, but I can tell you in So. Cal. that bike in that condition would sell for between $500.00 and $1,000.00  Like I said before... Its worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 04:33:32 AM »
Wow, thanks for the education.  You need to write something similar on all the simplex scooter for us, as there doesn't seem to be much info available about them.

Thanks, 
  Rick AKA  Admin
Rick

bobbed_out

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:52 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'm still going back and forth on it since I have a few other project ahead of this one...and I don't really have the space for it! But the guy only wants 300 for it, so I'm having a hard time passing it up.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:09:53 PM »
Smallbore, How do you think the brochure I posted compares to what you said here. I think in it it calls it a 6hp. But maybe it's a different ride.

smallbore

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 12:44:43 AM »
Smallbore, How do you think the brochure I posted compares to what you said here. I think in it it calls it a 6hp. But maybe it's a different ride.

I looked at that sales brochure / price list and you have to look at the fine print. The basic engine for the smaller Jr. Sportsman, model B & C  is a Series 1100... 175cc  rated at 4.9hp.
That was the smaller engine option on the Senior Sportsman. That engine was fitted with a larger carburetor and manifold to boost it to 6hp. The photo in the sales brochure is a bit deceiving.  At the top it does in fact say 6hp, but it is showing a Red Seal engine which is 7hp. The AU-10 Red Seal was a true race engine. Throughout the ‘50`s and into the ‘60`s it was the hot ticket if you wanted to run a 4-Stroke in your Kart.  Over built with Roller and ball bearings they gave the Westbend 820 a run for the money.

Perhaps I should have elaborated more on Models / engine options. The Senior Sportsman had 4 official versions, and a few other “Special order” ones.
SENIOR SPORTSMAN:
MODEL
A- Briggs & Stratton   3-1/4 hp
B- Continental Series 1100   6hp
C- Continental AU-10 Red Seal 7hp
V- Villiers 200cc 4 speed

Those were the standard engines. By late 1965 business was getting difficult for treen and by then a few bikes rolled out with Tecumseh 3.5hp (Valiant) and I have seen both Tecumseh and Clinton 2 strokes. Both 2 strokes would have been Customer Request or Special Order items.

If I can find the time I will post some of the photos and sales brochures I have in my 40+ years of collecting this stuff. I have been dealing with health issues the last year and a half, so its getting harder to get stuff done. I have been gathering parts & supplies to get my ‘65 Senior Sportsman done this year but im torn on what engine to drop in it. I have been kicking around the idea of building a V-Twin out of 2 Honda XR75 or XR80 engines. I have not turned on my Laths or mills this year, so I need some therapy time !
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:06:26 AM by smallbore »