Author Topic: 1943 Servi-cycle GA1 Airborne  (Read 21217 times)

simplexguy

• View Profile
1943 Servi-cycle GA1 Airborne
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »
Pictures of my Simplex GA1 This is a bike designed for the 82nd and 101st Airborne as transportation when dropped behind enemy lines during WWII. Unique features include no crash bars and folding foot boards, lever to loosen and turn handlebars for compact loading in an airplane, Silencer on the muffler,Cast Iron transmission and idler pulley, breathing tube for carburetor; for driving underwater,"Can't imagine that working out real well", manual belt tensioning apparatus for wet belt, larger fuel tank than standard G models and bobbed rear fender. And to make it easier to shoot while riding, it also has left handed throttle control and right handed compression release. It is reported that many of these were destroyed on the initial landing of these bikes.

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1943 Servi-cycle GA1 Airborne
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
I have a 1945 model (from Gary Wollard) that I hope to get placed in the World War 2 museum in New Orleans when I get the lights from Norman Burton.  Will you describe how the wires are arranged (which wire goes to which position) on the plate just below the gas tank?  Thanks, Mike

simplexguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 12:52:20 PM »
Mike, what mine has are two insulated terminals. They work as a distribution panel.The lighting coil out of the engine attaches to the front terminal.from there a wire goes up to the headlite switch. it is 3 positions off in center high & low beam left and right. The return wire or "another power wire" from the headlight goes to the back terminal and junctions with the tail light.

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 02:13:04 PM »
Are there two power wires going to the bulb in the taillight with the base grounded to the frame? I have heard that the taillight bulb has two elements (one with high beam and one with low beam, I guess)?  I have not yet seen the lights.  Thanks so much for your help, Mike

simplexguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »
This one has one positive and one ground. It does have a slot to hold a spare bulb inside the lens, but only powers one connection.I think the later H models had the system you are describing.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 09:55:35 PM »
In years past there was somebody who would bring a drop bike to the big ww2 event we have in Rockford, IL every year, but he wasn't there this year. 
Mike Sal

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »
 Hi Mike ,,    The 3 position switch  transfers the power from the hi beam to low beam , with  a wire from each beam going to each terminal on the tail light bulb .   the tail light has two filiments   so there will be something glowing back there when the switch " switches "   call if questions   Larry   314 609 6569 :D

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 07:04:31 AM »
Interesting that you say your taillight has a spare bulb holder.  Through the years I have heard that the teardrop style lenses were used as cab markers (Fords throughout the '40s I think). And would have only had one bulb socket.  My '48 has two bulb sockets each having a single filament bulb. Then having a seperate wire running from each side of the toggle switch to each taillight bulb. So whether you have the high or low beam on it just lights the other bulb in the back. Both of my sockets are one filament sockets.  So the center tap goes to the lighting coil and the outside taps have one headlight wire(hi or lo) and one taillight wire to each of them. The chassis is used for the ground.  In a one filament socket I suppose you would only be able to light the rear bulb in one position unless you snuck a couple of diodes into the circuit.  By the way I am running a GE #63 in my tailight.

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »
Larry, I plan to make an attempt to get those lights headed my way from Norman.  I will be calling him this weekend.  When I have them in hand, I will give you a call.  Thanks for offering to help. Mike   228-806-7670

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 06:45:13 PM »
Hello and Merry Christmas to all. I haven’t been on the forum in a while.

Simplexguy, thanks for posting the pictures of you G-A-1. Nice detailed pictures of the footboards and how they attach to the frame. I’ve never seen any pictures of how they were done until now. Looks like re-doing my footboards will be my winter project.

Mike Sal, I’m the guy who would bring my Simplex to the WW2 Rockford event. I couldn’t get away from work this year so wasn’t able to make it.

Mike