Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 166089 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2012, 08:15:55 AM »

You are correct:

The 5205 is the wide bearing @ 20.6mm
The 6205 is the narrow @ 15mm

They do make a 5205 wide bearing in single row.  Wayne has them.  I could not find them anywhere I looked, but have seen the 5205 in double row available in many places.

The bearing, being steel, will not change much, but the case, being aluminum, will expand.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:02:46 AM by RickS »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 08:17:23 AM »
" NEVER, EVER POUND THE BEARINGS IN OR OUT OF THE CASE WITHOUT FIRST PREHEATING IT!  This can cause the case to split. The engine case must be preheated in an oven.  400 degrees for 15 minutes works.  "

That ^ is essential . I lightly tapped on the bearing ( cold ) with no sign of giving way . My thought was to apply heat .
Thank you for the conformation , Rick . :)

Almost the same procedure is used when re-sleeving a cylinder .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 08:21:42 AM »
Pete, I just looked at a bearing and case I took apart a couple of months ago.  Just by looking at them, and stacking the bearing on top of the hole, I would swear there is no way it would go in.  Heat the case, and like magic, it goes right in.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »
I'll simply have to act on faith as at this point I have no other options . ;)

I'll try getting a few pics of the 'ordeal' .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2012, 06:02:59 PM »
Going through a few parts , I came up with another Tillotson carb .
The one I found today is an MT48A . The  throttle nor the choke are spring loaded .

I noticed the size of the venturis are very different . The MT9B ( this was on the bike ) has a venturi about 9mm .
The MT48A has a venturi about 15mm .

Question : What is the size of the venturi of the OEM Tillotson MT1 carbs ? At least a close educated estimate ???
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:26:43 PM by pd »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
Waiting ...
for motor bearings and seal ; new chrome balls for the wheel hubs .

Good thing this is just a hobby .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2012, 04:34:17 PM »
Well I just got one of those new compression cover units with hopes this fixes my problems. Had this bike together for over a year and still have nite got to ride it. :'(

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2012, 08:36:40 PM »
You bought one of the aluminum compression plates ?

Please , let us know how that works out .

I thought about one of those , but I couldn't see any great advantage . Maybe I'm missing something .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »
I was working on my axles , cones and associated nuts and spacers tonight . The cones leave a lot to be desired .
I used a jewelers file to dress the bad spots in the race faces of the cones . Seems they were made with defects . There was plenty of grease around the bearing balls , so I'd be real hard pressed to think the defects were due to rust . Which I saw none of on the cones .

I'll have to see if Wayne has the cones available .
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:20:54 AM by pd »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »
PD at this point I'm going to try what ever it takes to get this beast running. I think I've tried almost everything I could think of. I can make it run but not for long. This may decide the fate of the beast to where she ether a rider or trailer queen. I do see the outer ring is thicker so it may seal better. Should I use a rtv sealent or keep it dry. Wayne does carry the cones "Thank God" after I had a faulty tap break off during a clean up on the threads. He's got a lot of needed parts and if you haven't got his parts list get one they help big time.   8)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2012, 05:13:05 AM »
Reese, what is the problem you are having?  Is it stalling,sputtering or what?  What is your compression?

Wayne has more parts than is listed on his price sheet.  If you need something, ask him.

As for the compression plate, I use rtv on the plate, but leave it dry on the engine case, so I can pull the cover without destroying the gasket.  Wayne has told me he made the aluminum plates deeper than stock to help with airflow through the engine case.  I am not sure that this really helps, but I can not see any downside either.  The thicker flange should definitely help seal against leaks.  Wayne also told me to put the cover on with one gasket and see if there is any rubbing on the connecting rod.  If so, add a second gasket for clearance.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2012, 08:27:32 AM »
I have a parts list from Wayne , but it's at least 6 years old . I'll see if he'll send me a current list .

Reese , How long is " not for long " ? Does the motor run like it should for that period ? And , how does the motor act when it's about to quit ? Does it seem to gain RPMs or does it simply die or die with a final 'chug' ?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
PD, those axle cones are probably suffering from what is known as "spalling".  A piece of grit will get between the ball and the cone which creates a hi pressure spot which creates a fault in the surface.  From there, it's just like a pot hole in the road in the wintertime.  You'll never be able to straighten them out to where they will run true.

Wayne has new ones.  I bought some for my bike, but one of them had bad threads (after they are machined out, he has them heat treated & sometimes they will shrink too much & make the threads too tight).
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »
That sounds like a very plausible explanation , Mike . Not like they just invented sand yesterday ... ;)

Thanks for the heads up on shrinkage .