Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 165042 times)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #450 on: September 10, 2015, 08:58:06 PM »
 know you have a good amount of compression try taking the carb off and check how muck vacuum you have. Then with the piston up add some air in the carb port to see if there might be loss around gaskets.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 10, 2015, 09:50:01 PM »
Thanks , Reese .

Sounds like a plan . ;)

I did notice that the base gasket was wet . I tightened the bolts and took care of that leak .
Then this last time apart I thought new gaskets might be a good idea . While cleaning surfaces , I found that the cylinder mating surface had uneven 'low spots' .
I took a flat file and lightly went over the surface . Going all around the sleeve , several times , until I could see bright aluminum all the way around . There are still some low spots , kinda like pot marks , but they are now surrounded by continuous flat surface , if that makes sense . I haven't noticed any wet base gasket , since .

I'll give that air pressure in the intake a go .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 19, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
I see this site has been abandoned , at least it would seem so by the amount of posts made lately . :(

Anyway , I fired the '57 motor  today but couldn't get it to settle into a 'comfortable' idle . I had to keep the RPMs up for it to run . I noticed that the compression plate gasket was very moist around the outside edges , even though I have the screws as tight as I dare without stripping threads . I have to do a better job of sealing that .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2015, 04:12:09 AM »
You are certainly right about it being quiet here lately.  I guess nobody has a project going?  I will be starting on a new project shortly, and will post pictures of the progress.  I am going to scale up a frame a few inches in each direction while keeping the proportions the same.

Pete, the compression plate doesn't need to be tightened to death.  I just snug the screws up.  I don't think that is your problem. 

Did you check the condition of the crankshaft seal?  That could be a source of an air leak.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 20, 2015, 06:19:01 AM »
I have not checked the crank seal . I've been trying to avoid that , but ...

The seal bushing is original . Maybe it's worn a bit too thin . As I recall , it seemed to be in decent shape when I installed it .

We'll be leaving for our Fall Southward Meander on the 6th or 7th of October . I'm getting short on time to have anything apart .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 16, 2015, 03:56:23 PM »
The Simplex sits patiently secured to the trailer .
We're currently camped close to Columbus , Mississippi for a few days . Might be a week before I can 'unpack' the Simplex for further testing and possible exploratory surgery . Not being able mess with the bikes is one thing I miss while on the road , but , usually there are other things that occupy my time .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #456 on: October 16, 2015, 06:23:19 PM »
Where are you camping for the winter?  I hope you ar back at Portland next year with the bike running.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 16, 2015, 06:38:14 PM »
Rick ,

We'll spend a month or two in Long Beach , Mississippi again this Winter . Then around the first of the year , we'll drift our way along the Gulf coast toward the Mexican border . We'll visit with friends that are close to San Antonio , at some point .
We'll host the same park next Summer as last , so I should be able to get to Portland again . I'm planning on it .
The bike will be running . ;)

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #458 on: October 17, 2015, 03:31:14 PM »
Pete,
When you get to the gulf coast, give me a call at 228-806-7670.  I live in Ocean Springs, MS.  Mike Montgomery

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 17, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »
I will do that , Mike .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 24, 2016, 08:22:27 AM »
Mike ,

I'm sorry I did not contact you this past Winter . I believe you said that you'll be at Portland . I look forward to meeting you .

We're back , hosting at the same park we hosted the last two Summers . I plan on Portland again this year . Portland's  long range forecast is for 80s and humid with rain possible a couple of days that the meet is 'in session' .

Currently , I'm in the process of cleaning the park shed of Winter storage . It looks like I'll have enough room to fit the Simplex in there and still have room to work on it .

Working outside , dodging rain , sucks .

Hopefully , I can get the motor running decent , before Portland .

mike montgomery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #461 on: May 25, 2016, 05:14:59 PM »
Pete,  I will look for you.  I am riding up with Herb Weeks from Mobile.  Mike

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 02, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »
Took about a week , but the '57 is finally in the shed . I rolled it off the trailer and gave it a decent bath as I hadn't done anything but look at it since late September of last year .

These dang bikes are a bear to clean . All the nooks , crannies and really tight spots ... :(
I think I'll be buying some S100 . Spray it on have a cup of coffee and rinse it off . Sparkling clean machine . ;)

http://www.s100.com/

Now comes the real work : getting it running , reliably .

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #463 on: June 03, 2016, 02:47:15 AM »
My Dad always said, " ya can't miss your coffee break"!  I should try this stuff.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 03, 2016, 05:13:38 AM »
Tom ,

I moderate a bike forum and the guys that have tried it say they won't go back to what they used before .